cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G or 4G in Oxford City Centre for the past year

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone

I moved to Oxford in August 2014 for university from Newcastle (where signal has never ever been a problem - always good 4G). However, since moving there my signal and data speeds have been terrible.

Strangely, the city centre is the worst place having never (literally, never) gotten 4G or even a good 3G signal. I almost exclusively get E and GPRS. The rest of Oxford isn't great either. However, if I go to the very west side of Oxford (near the train station) I get good 4G, and heading quite a way East (in Headington) my signal is perfect.

The coverage map shows that Oxford is just about completely covered with 4G however I almost never get it (sadly the one neighbourhood that doesn't have it is where I'll be moving to next month).

I have called O2 and they sent me a new SIM - nothing worked. I went to the Apple Store and they gave me a new iPhone - nothing changed.

What can I do about this? I can probably live without 4G but I what is the point in having a 5GB data allowance when I only really get GPRS in the middle of a city.

Thanks

James

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to be a problem in Oxford across all the networks.

See local newspaper article here

Message 11 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Must be the 'dreaming spires' in Oxford causing the problem wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will try the app although have called them twice and tried to report via the nework status page too.

Others do have the same problem on O2 and my friend on GiffGaff (which I think uses O2's network?) also has the same issues.

The problem is I have another £220 on my device plan. Is there anything I can do or am I simply forced to wait it out with terrible signal unless I pay?

Message 13 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unfortunately you have to wait it out or pay it off.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
They have the boat race to keep them occupied during the interim
Message 15 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will try the app although have called them twice and tried to report via the nework status page too.

Others do have the same problem on O2 and my friend on GiffGaff (which I think uses O2's network?) also has the same issues.

The problem is I have another £220 on my device plan. Is there anything I can do or am I simply forced to wait it out with terrible signal unless I pay?

Yes Giffgaff is a mvno that operates off o2's Network so it's viable they would have the same issue. 

I asked the question about costs as that could determine the advice given in order to help and guide you. So as you have quite a sum to pay it would be costly to move networks.

One option could be to sell your current mobile phone to accumulate some funds to help pay off this cost. 

Message 16 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have to agree. Sell the phone to pay off the device and take out another contract with a network that gives good coverage. You have a very expensive music player at the moment. The fact that you settle and pay off the device plan will also help your credit rating.

Message 17 of 22

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
That's one advantage of refresh.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 22

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
As it's an iPhone (which retain decent value) the selling of the device option mentioned is perfectly sound advice IMO... It's a definite solution to your problem, but only if you can find a network with decent coverage. Try out a few free payg sims from other providers to determine who has the best signal in the areas you spend the most time in.

Good luck.
Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I would get the phone unlocked free by O2 so if you sell to a student they can put in a sim that will get coverage in Oxford.:smileywink:

Message 20 of 22