cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone lines causes problems for O2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

I'm currently trying to get my phoneline hooked up with broadband from O2.

It is a brand new line installed into the house and was installed 10 days ago by BT. I have done line checks with various companies and they all disagree on what my line speed should be. Sky states I can get a 20mb connection, BE stays I cannot get any of their services and O2 tells me I can only receive the Access package (17.99 p/m 8meg unlimited downloads).

Has anyone ever experianced a problem like this before? I don't want to tie myself into a 12 month contract with O2 if it is something to do with the brand new line and it needs resolved. I've been round the mill with BT and they are... as helpful as ever.

Right now O2 report my maximum possible line speed as 7mb. BT report it as 9mb. I have spoken to O2 twice now and been directed to BT but BT have only directed me back to O2. I feel like a yoyo.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edit:

I should also mention this is my exchange

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NIBA

LLU for O2 is enabled at it. So their services are available in the area.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sky will offer you speeds upto 20MB, it's very unlikely you will get the full speed.
o2 have not get LLU in your area (they do not have their own equipment in your exchange). This meens that they have to run through BT who charge o2 for doing so. That's why the packages usually cost more. With the speed differences, generally if you checked every broadband provider they will give you different estimated speeds.
I'm sure IPStream (BT's equipment) can only support 8MB speeds, but I may be wrong.
Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't say what your problem is or why you feel its related to a new line. You hint at getting different estimates of speed, is that your problem? Are you asking for an explanation of why different companies quote different expected speeds?
Incidentally, there is a home broadband section, which might be a better place to post.
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,
I'm currently trying to get my phoneline hooked up with broadband from O2.
It is a brand new line installed into the house and was installed 10 days ago by BT. I have done line checks with various companies and they all disagree on what my line speed should be. Sky states I can get a 20mb connection, BE stays I cannot get any of their services and O2 tells me I can only receive the Access package (17.99 p/m 8meg unlimited downloads).
Has anyone ever experianced a problem like this before? I don't want to tie myself into a 12 month contract with O2 if it is something to do with the brand new line and it needs resolved. I've been round the mill with BT and they are... as helpful as ever.
Right now O2 report my maximum possible line speed as 7mb. BT report it as 9mb. I have spoken to O2 twice now and been directed to BT but BT have only directed me back to O2. I feel like a yoyo.
Any help, greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Edit:
I should also mention this is my exchange
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NIBA
LLU for O2 is enabled at it. So their services are available in the area.

Seems like O2 LLU is available, but there is no more capacity on it (i.e the equipment has no vacant slots)
O2 and BE use the same equipment so that's why you can only get O2 Access.
This is where O2 provide the service along BT's broadband equipment at the exchange. The technology is ADSL1 technology and is limited to 8mbps maximum

Sky and BT may be able to provide more speed by using varius technologys such as ADSL2 (16mbps max) And ADSL2+ (24mbps max)

There's nothing wrong with your copper telelphone line running to the exchange by the sounds of things
Message 4 of 4