cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New iPhone Today

Anonymous
Not applicable
So it seems Apple are set to launch a new iPhone today.

How long will it be before O2 advise if we'll be allowed to upgrade early like we were with the iPhone 3G?

Be nice to see some prompt decision on what options are available to us.
Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, I don't think the monopoly has anything to do with upgrading, cos even if it was available on other networks you'd still be in your o2 contract.
Message 11 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 don't have any say when Apple release them.

Why should they put it back just for existing customers who NEED to get a new model. Why should new customers or people who are due to upgrade have to wait so you can have the newest model? The features that are on there are not going to change your life, they're not that much different from the old model, you can wait for it, you just don't want to.

I honestly find it amusing how people can get so het up over a phone.
Message 12 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
iPhone customers are extremely hot property - hence the reason O2 shelled out an ungodly amount of money for exclusivity. I remember reading that the competing networks were shocked by the magnitude of O2's 11th hour bid prior to the initial iPhone launch. The revenue created by iPhone customers is clearly extremely substantial to warrant such an outlay and allowing those on 18 month iPhone 3G contracts who have completed 12 months of the contract to upgrade early, whilst still paying for the new handset is certainly not unreasonable.
Message 13 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely bloody outrageous! O2 are completely taking advantage of this iPhone monopoly. Wanting us to pay for the phone is absolutely fine, but expecting iPhone customers to buy themselves out of contracts is disgusting. The massive majority of those who really want an iPhone already have one and they know this! Every single iPhone 3G customer has at least 7 months to run on their contract, because if I remember correctly, it came out on July 17th last year. O2 are fully aware of the Apple loyalty that exists and are completely taking advantage of this and their customers, to the point of extortion. And also, the UK prices are less than competitive! $199 and $299 in the US - today's exchange rate: $1 = 0.62p. That equates to £125 and £188! So £184 and £274 is, quite frankly, daylight robbery!
Very poor form O2. I can't remember a time that a company has so blatantly and unashamedly ripped off it's customers. I'd love to think that 3GS sales would be diabolically low, with current iPhone customers refusing to pay themselves out of the final 3rd of their contracts, but we all know that won't happen. Extremely disappointing.

I agree. o2's change in policy stinks. I was able to upgrade from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G 16gb for £60, it would have been free if I stuck at 8gb. All I had to do was sign up for another 18 months.

My friend was looking to get a 3G a couple of weeks ago but I told him to wait. Luckily he did. The o2's sales reps even told him if he bought one there and then he could upgrade to the new model free as before, as long as he signed up again.

I can see a lot of people leaving o2 when there exclusivity deal runs out because of this. :robotmad:
Message 14 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
The easy upgrade was offered last time because it was a big difference in handset. Not much has changed on this one so there is no need to.
Message 15 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
The easy upgrade was offered last time because it was a big difference in handset. Not much has changed on this one so there is no need to.

Video recording, 32 gb, faster processor and more memory = 2x speed increase, better camera, digital compass, new anti water/fingerprints coating and voice controls. I'd say thats a pretty big upgrade
Message 16 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are some seriously major changes. The upgrade to HSDPA is huge and the number one criticism of the iPhone has been addressed: the camera!

Think about it, I have 7 months to run, at £45 a month. If they allowed an early upgrade, but still asked me to pay for the handset, then over the next 7 months, I'd still be paying them £45 a month, but I'll have paid then £184 for the phone! You'd think they'd be happy with the extra £184 they'd be receiving, but they're clearly hoping to bleed those loyal to the Apple/iPhone brand dry and take them for every penny they can. As i said; blatantly and unashamedly ripping off their customers.
Message 17 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
The newer version of my car is much better than the one I have now, I can't expect Vauxhall to give it me cheap. I agreed to pay that price.

o2 don't normally allow you to buy yourself out of your contract to upgrade, I'm surprised they're even doing that!
Message 18 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
sign the petition

viewtopic.php?t=20280
Message 19 of 54

Anonymous
Not applicable
Say you bought a mac laptop (macbook?) and paid for it on a 18 month plan with the shop or your credit card company. Would you expect to not have to pay for the last 6 months of the payments if a new one was brought out and you wanted it? This is similar. The contract subsidised the handset cost. People were given cheap or free upgrades last time as they had bought the first handset outright with no subsidy. Brand loyalty is often a good thing. But it doesn't mean you have to buy everything they release. As i have said in a number of other threads, there will always be a new phone come out during a contract. Be happy with having a great handset!
Message 20 of 54