Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New contracts

pierced6966
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So i have recently been getting text messages from o2 about upgrading as my contract is up for renewal shortly.

So i decided to go check out how much my Samsung S7 was worth against the new S9.

In the upgrade/recycle option you select manufacture, model.

The options did not have the British version, they had the American Verizon version G930T, British is G930F.

Seeing as that is the nearest to British model i selected it.

The value according to the site of my phone is £0.00, so i thought i would see value of over phones, S9, iphone X and all came up worth £0.00.

Now considering i did a price comparison on another site i knew mine was valued at £171-£174.

I call O2 and explain their site is giving zero value and that its not even British phone, responce, what do you want me to do about it. Customer service said they can check which i said yes please, to which i am told £120.

Now considering i've been with the company for past 8 years you would think they would want to keep customers and give them a better deal than competitors.

Nope, not the case with O2, they think i will gladly sell my phone for less, take out a new contract for the S9 costing Me £164 more than a contract simular to vodafone so in effect adding loss of value on phone £214.

Not a chance in hell i am staying, in the old days companies valued keeping customers but now not so much.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Whatever price is quoted, the value will be considerably less once they receive the phone. By my reckoning you will have to pay them around sixty quid to take your phone off your hands.....

Seriously, take the phone to CEX for the best price or sell it privately. Ebay? Maybe, if you want to be advertising and parcelled it up then taking it to the post office and hoping they don't lose it!

Message 11 of 24

MI5
  • 144321 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
Ebay? Maybe, if you want to be advertising and parcelled it up then taking it to the post office and hoping they don't lose it!

Not forgetting 10% to ebay, 5% to paypal and the buyer trying on some scam or other to try and rip you off!

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 24

jonsie
  • 93228 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:
Ebay? Maybe, if you want to be advertising and parcelled it up then taking it to the post office and hoping they don't lose it!

Not forgetting 10% to ebay, 5% to paypal and the buyer trying on some scam or other to try and rip you off!

As you may gather, I hate eBay with a passion.....selling or buying!

Message 13 of 24

MI5
  • 144321 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, you do have to be so very careful.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 24

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I would sell your phone through CEX go into nearest shop

Get told how much its worth either cash or voucher

If you agree you selling it leave phone with them (they gave you a receipt) then after 30 mins go back and if all well which i have always found is they pay you slight_smile 

SIMPLES ...............

Message 15 of 24

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10168 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3010 Solutions
Be very wary of CEX they have some very sharp and nasty practices.

If you do sell through CEX the most you can expect in cash is £169 if locked to o2

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=samsung%20s7%20o2&sortBy=sellprice&sortOrder=desc
- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 16 of 24

MI5
  • 144321 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@madasaf1sh wrote:
Be very wary of CEX they have some very sharp and nasty practices.

If you do sell through CEX the most you can expect in cash is £169 if locked to o2

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=samsung%20s7%20o2&sortBy=sellprice&sortOrder=desc

So, only £50 more than O2 then.....

Currently using:
Message 17 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I have never found that in any of my dealings with CEX. Must be area dependent....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

There are certainly huge downsides to eBay/PayPal. Their customer service makes O2's look like Harrods. And yeah there are scammers and other pitfalls but you can mitigate those if you know what you're about.

The upside is that a used G930F 32gb in good condition with packaging can sell for £260, so you'd net about £220, after fees and postage.. in poor condition much less.

If I had a good one it would be eBay, one in more distressed condition then maybe cash converters, and if poor then 02.

Message 19 of 24

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10168 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3010 Solutions

It very much is, but seems to be more widespread than it used to be with especially with trade, ins and selling fake products... 

Ive been using CEX since the one on Albion Street was one of 3 or 4 in the country but they have gone downhill so much

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 20 of 24