cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never moved to a new network before. Help!

Anonymous
Not applicable
For years I was with Virgin but today I've switched to O2 keeping my old number and I'm waiting for my new phone to arrive. I got a PAC code from Virgin yesterday and it's at this point I'm unsure of what to do when the new phone arrives.

All of my contacts are on my Virgin sim. Do I put it into the new phone and move the numbers over or is it done automatically when I ring O2 to activate the PAC code? Will I use my continue to use my old sim or the one that comes with the new phone? My Virgin account will end on 13 June. If I ring O2 later this afternoon to activate the migration, do I continue to use my old phone and sim for a day or two until the transfer takes place, or the new phone with the new sim? If I use the new phone and sim, am I getting charged for calls?

Sorry to seem a bit dim, but I've never had to do this before!
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions
You need to back up your numbers as they will be lost when your mobile number is transferred onto your new sim card. Your new phone may be locked to the o2 network in which case you will not be able to transfer the numbers when you insert the virgin sim card so make a back up copy perhaps on your PC. Just phone o2 with your PAC code and they will transfer your number within 48 days.You can also use the on-line form.
See links below :

Transfer Number to O2
On Line Form
Message 2 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
What phone do you have now and what are you getting.?

I ask because you may be able to backup your contacts or sync to outlook or another mail programme and then sync to your new phone.
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. Synching would be great but I don't know if it will work.

I've got an LG KU900 Viewty at the moment and changing to a Samsung Tocca Ultra. I had the software for my LG installed on my old PC but recently got rid of it in favour of a new laptop. Problem is that I can't find the little disk to install the phone to PC software. I've moved my pictures and sounds from the old phone to the laptop via bluetooth but can't work out how to move the phone numbers. They're on my sim card. I changed the phone setting to 'mass storage device' so that the laptop will recognise the phone via a USB cable, but it doesn't work as I haven't got a micro card in the phone. Apparently that's the only way the PC can read what's in the phone. Any ideas or am I going to have to manually put in every number into my new phone?

Could I try putting in the old Virgin sim into the new phone to see if it's recognised and if so, transfer my numbers to the new handset?
Message 4 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
Can you on your lg copy from sim to phone? if so you may be able to get your contacts accross by bluetooth.

is the lg locked to virgin if not you again if you cany copy to phone and vice versa put o2 sim in lg then copy back to sim.
Just a few ideas.

Some of the independant shops used to be able to copy sim contacts perhaps a visit to cpw etc. or buy one of those cheap sim backup units or a more expensive unit like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99098

adam
Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 5 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, numbers won't bluetooth over to the PC, only pics and sound files. I'm not sure if the phone is locked to Virgin. I'll try the O2 sim in it when it arrives.
Message 6 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
I meant bluetooth contacts between the 2 phones not pc.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oh right! Yes, I suppose I could try that.
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you are trying to bluetooth it to an iphone, it will not work properly. You just need to wait for the newest OS 3.0 to be released. Apart from that, some sony ericsson phones will refuse to bluetooth to any Nokia phones.
Message 9 of 14

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
If you are trying to bluetooth it to an iphone, it will not work properly. You just need to wait for the newest OS 3.0 to be released. Apart from that, some sony ericsson phones will refuse to bluetooth to any Nokia phones.

op has said getting a samsung and had an lg read his posts
Apple Watch series 4

Message 10 of 14