Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network update for Yateley, Hampshire

carpets
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

On 12th June my network signal dropped like a brick to the point of not being able to connect to the internet, send/receive texts or make phoen calls.  After a number of calls to our fantastic customer service team at O2 (not!!!) and being told there was not a problem for 3 weeks then there was a problem then the local mast was decommissioned the residents of Yatelety aer STILL without a proper service even though O2 had suppossedly increased the strength to compensate this actually made things worse.  The O2 TuGo app is c**p and hardly worth using as texts are irratic, phone calls drop out and internety is slow sometimes.

Although O2 have admitted, after about 1 month of phone calls by many residents in Yateley, there was a major **bleep** up by customer service and Networks we are STILL without a proper signal

I have been without one for 9 weeks and some residents will now be 12 weeks with no proper signal unless you hang outside the bedroom window

Come on O2, get your acty together and get this mess sorted out.  Although we WILL be getting compensation (as confirmed by the Ombudsman as we have had no acceptable service for sooo long) it is not the same as having a proper service.  I will not be accepting compensation until the service is back to normal but, please, 9 - 12 weeks is totally unacceptable.  Also, why were customers made aware that a mast would be decommissioned due to the land the mast was on will be sold off?

Yateley residents want answers not excuses so please show some decency and give us the honest facts

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

mmmmmm....working on it. not good enough O2!!

Live results for Yateley, England, Hants

• Service Update

We recently decommissioned a mast in Yateley which has resulted in a reduction of coverage around that area. Unfortunately this couldn’t be prevented and we’re sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We have maximised signal for surrounding sites and we’re working to make a new mast live as soon as we can. Did you know that O2 TU Go lets you make and receive calls and texts using your mobile number when connected to Wi-Fi? It’s available on phones, tablets and laptops. Click on the link here http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/tu-go

Updated 19:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Having a quick google it does appear they have had to decommission a mast as land it was on was being redeveloped - and as you say they have boosted the signal on other masts to compensate.

However I don't think this will help, mobile masts are quite specific in type and the area they cover, and I imagine the decomissioned mast formed a crucial part of the coverage, so by simply turning up other masts there will still be a hole covered by the old mast.

My advice, put in an official complaint with a view to asking to be released from any contract commitments early without penalty then change providers!

Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lack of planning - clearly the mast being decomissioned due to development must have been known for months, if not a year or so - plenty of time to sort out the new mast before the old one was turned off.

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @carpets

Put in a complaint via this link. They can't expect you to pay for a service you obviously aren't getting

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

carpets
  • 9 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

That is exactly what I thought regarding the increase in signal.  If this mast was the 'mothership' of all the masts in the area increasing the signal aint gonna do a thing

I am seriously looking to leave after about 20 years of being with O2 and maybe moving to EE but need to look into this first

Will certainly get my compensation first though so I don't lose out on that! 

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Most networks will give you free PAYG sims, get your phone unlocked (if it isn't already), get the free sims and see who gives you the best coverage. Don't forget coverage checkers online are computer generated predictions and not always reliable.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I doubt O2 will be rushing to put any new masts up or pay any compo.....
No doubt they'll leave the mess for Three to sort out.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
I doubt O2 will be rushing to put any new masts up or pay any compo.....
No doubt they'll leave the mess for Three to sort out.

I suspect you may be correct - though not a good attitude to take towards it's customers if true.

Message 9 of 9