Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NGTS [Next Generation Text Relay (service)]

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

Next Generation Text Relay (service) ( also referred to as, NGTR (NGTS)) is a service that helps members with hearing loss and/or speech impairment to make and receive calls.

A relay assistant acts as an intermediary to convert speech to text and vice versa for the two people on the call.

For more information visit the Next Generation Text Service website.

This is a service that O2 supports but I'm not sure it's widely publicised?

More info here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/access-for-all

Don't forget to add the bolt on to your account.

Details here https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/tariffs/bolt-ons/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30

Cleoriff
  • 122375 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Jenny105 

No you don't have to buy anything. O2 advice here

If you've used NGTS with us since 1 August 2016, we'll add the Bolt On to your account automatically, so you don't have to do a thing. And if you haven't used the service since then, you can add the NGTS Bolt On to your account through My O2.

However, if you are having problems adding it then O2 customer service will help. Ask someone to call on your behalf  (if you are unable to do this yourself)

All O2 contact numbers are in this guide Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

0800 587 4005 is the best number to call.

Although maybe one of our managers can help @Marjo @LukasB ?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 31

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Cheers for the tag @Cleoriff slight_smile

Hi @Jenny105 lovely to see you on the community again. slight_smile

This sounds like something that our Access for All team can help with. Let us know if you managed to add the bolt on with the instructions above from @Cleoriff? If you need more help, rather than calling CS if you struggle hearing them on the phone, feel free to let me know and I can get you in contact with our Access for All team who can help further. slight_smile

Message 22 of 31

Cleoriff
  • 122375 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks @Marjo  Much appeciated. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 31

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I went to Live Chat . They told me what to look for in play store NGTS lite. So I downloaded . The next instruction was to call . I could see a tiny blue phone in top right corner but when clicked nothing happened.....

Maybe i can phone 02 on the landline  . Or does the mobile need to be used.??

Message 24 of 31

bodger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure if I am correct in replying here, but cant find another option.
I have used NGTS on phone and iPad for a while, used to have it on my PC, but recently changed the PC to windows 10 and just now tried to install the NGTS (Lite) app. It all goes well but when I open the app I get an error message saying 'Windows cannot find Javaw'

Have you any idea what is happening.

Message 25 of 31

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@bodger 

You'll need to download Java on your PC https://www.java.com/en/download/

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 26 of 31

bodger
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank You. Works fine now

Message 27 of 31

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You're welcome.

Currently using:
Message 28 of 31

Jenny105
Level 15: Gaining a Reputation
  • 702 Posts
  • 122 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

Hi    its come to my notice that things to do with loss of hearing are not promoted. Deaf people / hard of hearing people dont speak up (sorry pun ) for themselves , its a trait of deafness.

luvly An elderly lady at a local church was told that hearing loss isnt a disability. She stopped going to meetings as the loop system doesnt work properly.

How many loop systems do you notice in shops, garages, etc. ?

Grumble grumble

@Cleoriff wrote:

This is absolutely excellent. I had never heard of it before. I can't understand for the life of me why it hasn't had more publicity?.

The relay assistant is capable of many functions to help the speech or hearing impaired. Excellent

Message 29 of 31

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much for that. When I heard it was a bolt on I needed I immediately thought it was a paid for one. I've just added it now so can give it a try tomorrow. 

Message 30 of 31