cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N96 V12 Frimware

Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting on the Nokia website it has become apparent that I cannot update my N96 to V12 firmware because it needs to be 'approved by the network'.

Please can you provide me with further information as to when this is likely to be, so I can use my phone with the latest software.

Alternatively, I was advised O2 branding could be removed by taking the phone to a 'Nokia Care Point'. Are these present in all O2 shops, and if not where is the nearest to me? I live in St.Albans, Hertfordshire.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting on the Nokia website it has become apparent that I cannot update my N96 to V12 firmware because it needs to be 'approved by the network'.
Please can you provide me with further information as to when this is likely to be, so I can use my phone with the latest software.
Alternatively, I was advised O2 branding could be removed by taking the phone to a 'Nokia Care Point'. Are these present in all O2 shops, and if not where is the nearest to me? I live in St.Albans, Hertfordshire.

You don't have to de-brand it to update the software. All you need to do is download the Nokia Updater software (http://www.nokia.co.uk/A4777088), install it to your pc and then plug in your phone and follow the instructions.

The software will detect which version you current have and if the phone software needs updating - it will update no matter what network you are on.

I've used this on my o2 branded N95 countless times....

grin
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Much though I would love it to be this simple, sincie O2 have not officially 'approved' the V12 Firmware upgrade yet for their handsets. It will therefore be impossible to download the V12 update onto an O2 branded handset until such time as it has been verified by the network.

That given, can anyone advise me as to when it might be that the firmware update is approved? Can I also confirm that in order to remove the O2 branding without voiding the warrenty, I require written permission from O2? This information was passed on to me by Nokia.
Message 3 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm having the same issue too.

When will this update be available on 02?
Message 4 of 11

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
if you don't want to de brand the phone you will have to wait until the O2 version is available.

The way it works is that there is a code in your phone so when you plug it in to the Nokia Updater thing it checks that code and installs the correct version of the software.

Obviously you need the right one if you want to retain the O2 features etc but if you do de brand it you will get the generic version.

Thats what i have done but i had to as i bought mine second hand and needed to get the Vodafone software off it.

I have heard about someone changing the ID to a generic phone, doing the update and then swapping it back to the Network specific code and is supposedly all worked fine but i cant recommend doing that as i haven't tried it
Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, any news on when the latest update might be available?

It is incredibly annoying using back-dated software when a phone has bugs that are fixed in the new version of the firmware.

Is there a webpage or information point or technical support number where O2 provides this information, or do they choose to leave their customers in the dark with phone software that is out of date and buggy, when perfectly good, Nokia-approved, firmware is readily available?
Message 6 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you don't want to de brand the phone you will have to wait until the O2 version is available.
The way it works is that there is a code in your phone so when you plug it in to the Nokia Updater thing it checks that code and installs the correct version of the software.
Obviously you need the right one if you want to retain the O2 features etc but if you do de brand it you will get the generic version.
Thats what i have done but i had to as i bought mine second hand and needed to get the Vodafone software off it.
I have heard about someone changing the ID to a generic phone, doing the update and then swapping it back to the Network specific code and is supposedly all worked fine but i cant recommend doing that as i haven't tried it

....if you want to debrand your N95 - follow this guide :http://clear-nokia.blogspot.com/2007/05/nokia-n95-debranding-guide.html

Then go ahead and update the software.... grin
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks...I have an N96 though.

And this will void the warrenty, no?
Message 8 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
the same problem annoyed me .
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone from O2 actually look at this message board and attempt to help its customers and answer their queries, or does the forum exist for no reason whatsoever?
Message 10 of 11