Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly contract

HB44
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
When my iPhone stopped working I went to the O2 store - it was under a year old. Bought under a new phone contract. When it was sent off for repair it was decided, by them, to replace - deemed a phone fault. It was replaced by a refurbished model. Is this correct, as I’m paying for a new phone? The shop manager said that it is standard procedure. I cannot find anything in the terms and conditions to say this. I feel it should be a new for new replacement. Has anyone experienced this issue? What are my rights? My refurbished model stopped working after a day. The shop manager could not be anymore unhelpful and would only offer to repair the refurbished one or replace with another refurbished one. If anyone has experienced this and has any advice I would be most grateful.
I’ve been with O2 since buying my first mobile (10+ years ago) and have been so disappointed and dismayed by the shop support. Especially when this is the first time I’ve had a tech issue with a phone and shocked by the way I’ve been treated.
Thank you in advance for any advice
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Yes, a 12 month old phone will be repaired or replaced with a refurbished one.
Your original phone is no longer new so you won't get a new one unless it's within the first 30 days.
All T&C's here http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

HB44
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you, for you quick reply. Please could you show me the exact paragraph - I’ve read the t&c - the equipment agreement and paragraph 12.4 says O2 can repair or replace but I cannot see where it states that after 30days its deemed as second hand and will be replace by a refurbished model. Surely if the phone develops a fault, just like other new goods under contracts it is replace new for new. I am niave when it comes to phones but surely they need to state somewhere that a new product still under a contact is no longer classed as new after 30 days or have I just missed it? I will be satisfied if I see it in black and white. It sounds like I'm being petty, but you pay less for a refurbished model under a contract yet I am still paying for a new phone. Hence my fustration and dissatisfaction. Thank you
Message 3 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@HB44If you want to make a complaint about the unhelpful shop advisors then you can do so here

https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

However, a complaint about the refurbished phone situation won't be accepted unfortunately..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 9

HB44
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you Cleoriff, are you able to explain to me why the refurbished issue would be considered a non-issue. For any other goods bought under a contract this would not be accepted - why for phones? You might help me to understand better, thank you
Message 5 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@HB44If honest I can't explain.

I have just looked in the terms and conditions and find nothing in writing. It just seems to be accepted practice (from other posts I have read here)

In fact, I do know one of our members @viridis received a faulty Z5 a couple of years back and when they sent him a refurbished one to replace it he complained strongly and eventually got a new one..

However that was brand new...

You may do well to complain in general then and see what happens?.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 9

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Faulty devices explained here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/our-returns-and-repairs-policy
O2 and all other networks consider a refurbished phone to be the same as repairing your original phone, which will then be refurbished and given to someone else.
Generally, it makes the whole process quicker for the customer to get them a working phone back to them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23044 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3669 Solutions

I too cannot find anything in the T's&C's @Cleoriff. All I can find is this, which is pretty vague:

"Warranty

Unless otherwise stated, all equipment purchased from this website is covered by a 12 month manufacturer's warranty from the date that it is delivered to you. In the unlikely event that you experience a fault or defect with your equipment in the first 12 months following purchase please contact mycare@o2mail.co.uk . This does not affect your statutory rights."

This pertains to online purchases, but I don't see why they should be any different if you buy a phone in store.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Such a shame @HB44 that you didn't go direct to Apple as they would have replaced it with a brand new one. 

Message 9 of 9