Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Payments

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions
I have seen a few posts recently referring to direct debits and feel this may help some guys with the complexities and responsibilities of making regular monthly payments. It worries me when I see advice to cancel direct debits without being aware of the possible consequences.

There are 3 different ways of setting up regular payments :

Standing Order
This is set up by you with your bank to make a fixed payment at agreed intervals and can be cancelled at any time by you. Some financial institutions may require this in writing but can also be done by phone or by on line banking.

Direct Debit
Most companies (Originators) require this method of payment where the monthly charge is variable and the Originator is authorised by you to take that amount at an agreed date each month. Authorisation is made by mandate which either you or the Originator send to your bank. The direct debit is covered by a guarantee which all originators are legally bound by. Some of the main points are :

The Originator must advise you in advance of any change in the terms or date of your payment

If your bank or the Originator make a mistake with reference to your payment, you are guaranteed a full and immediate repayment of the amount paid back into your bank/building society account. Do not accept being told that the repayment will take 10 to 14 days. In terms of a direct debit the key words are immediate and full repayment.

You can cancel a direct debit at any time either in writing to your bank or building society or again by on line banking. You cannot do this by telephone.
Be aware however, if you cancel the direct debit when outstanding monies are owing, this may affect your credit rating as the Originator is bound to update your credit file and this may well have a major bearing on future loans/mortgages or contracts.

Recurring Payments
These are set up by giving the Originator your Debit or Credit Card Number instead of your Sort Code and Account Number and authorise the Originator to take payment each month.
Please be aware - never, ever set up a payment using this method - you cannot cancel these payments. This can only be done by the Originator and can involve lengthy and time consuming problems getting them to cancel your payments and to refund any agreed over-payments/fees.

I hope this may be of some benefit to any of our forum members.
Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Anonymous
Not applicable
i am having trouble getting my money back from o2 i canceled a contract with them on 3rd nov and went back on pay as u go with them, they still taking money from bank in 16th nov rang them tonight kept getting cut off
Message 21 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

i currently pay by direct debit,but dates my money goes into my account are no longer specific,i therefore have ended up with bank charges when the money hasnt been available..can i stop my direct debit and pay at a post office instead??

Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure about a post office but you can pay with a credit or debit card or by cheque

Message 23 of 29

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

The payment methods without a direct debit are here:

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref%28User%29:str%28Mob...

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 24 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
Silly Question but do o2 charge if you don't set up a Direct Debt? I honestly cannot find this information out on their website or search box. If the info isn't easy to find can they legally charge a fee?
Message 25 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
oh, just to say that since I write to o2 (not by email) royal mail. I have found my account issues sorted out better! Plus I received a discount for complaining. A loyalty discount of a fiver a month for 12 months (on a sum only deal of 20.64 month) Has anyone else heard of such a deal? Only correspondence dept can offer.
Message 26 of 29

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

O2 don't charge any extra for not setting up a direct debit. There are no extra fees for paying your account by other means. Direct debits are just a more convenient way for most people to pay without the hassle of remembering each month.

Only downside is that some people never even look at their bill and extra charges outside their allowance are often overlooked for months.

Whichever means you choose to pay by, you should always make a point of checking your bill.

Hope this helps.

Message 27 of 29

k13ra
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
i paid my bill early and not the balance says ‘ -£26.77’ do you know why?
Message 28 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@k13ra  a minus means you are in credit

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 29