Did you mean: 

Mobile device & mental health: your tips

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone,

I recently read an article on The Mighty that I thought was interesting to post about here on the community. The article is called 25 Phone Games People with Depression Play at Night and you can read it fully here

The article discusses specifically mobile gaming and how it can help with nighttime challenges when living with depression, and lists games that users of The Mighty living with depression have actually played and found helpful.

It would be interesting to widen the discussion a bit to include not only mobile games, but anything that has helped you cope with depression or other mental health issues using a mobile device. I'd love to hear your thoughts around this. slight smile

Do you have any experience with this that you would like to share with the community? Any tips on games or apps for example that others in similar situations could also try?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Games.. relax.. are you kidding me?

84CDBCDC-984B-455B-BCAE-E430069EE31B.jpeg

This is me

Message 11 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Games.. relax.. are you kidding me?

84CDBCDC-984B-455B-BCAE-E430069EE31B.jpeg

This is me

joyrofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 23

MusicIan
Level 4: Observant
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Its finding whatever does the trick. The key to winding down the spring inside that feels as if it could snap and break everything at any moment. 

If phones help you, great. Whatever eases your mind is good.

When I was suffering from depression in the 90s I loved reading James Herriot books. My favorite place was (and still is) the west coast of Scotland and to help relax I used to “drive” in my head up the A82 or A83 up to Inverary. 

Yes, I’m that sad. 

I retired as a musician in 2013 but the world had other ideas. Now I use my skills to hold open the gate for people with all sorts of issues to discover if music can help them unlock some release from their pain.

I believe that if you can take control of your condition for just 30 minutes, whether by playing a game on your phone, listening to a choice of music or watching corrie, you are starting on the road back to better balance and optimism. That’s all it is, mind. A start.

My goodness I do go on.  Sorry about that.

Message 13 of 23

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I fully agree. Whatever helps at any given moment. It may not be the same one thing that works every time. Sometimes looking at photographs of happier times can be hugely beneficial but the next time may be hugely depressive. I try different things but I'm searching for that all elusive absolute definitive instant fix for me. Obviously it's an impossible task. That's why depression is only treatable over time, there is no instant fix, no magic formula. If more people understood and were able to offer support then that is far more valuable than a mobile phone to sufferers. The biggest problem is hiding it from family and friends. We choose to do this but once the door is shut on the outside world, we deal with our demons the best we can. Just sometimes though, it all gets too much to bear.

Message 14 of 23

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

For me, anything which allows a few minutes break from the pressures of the day is a good thing. The problem is when obsession creeps in I guess.

The psychologists though do seem to go down the slow breathing and muscle relaxation techniques for a few minutes a day.

We all need "our own" time.

Message 15 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I think the main thing to remember with mental health issues, is what works for one, won't necessarily work for someone else.

This is why 1-1 care is imperative. Depression is caused by a multitude of issues and relevant only to that one individual. This is why there are so many people with problems. There are not enough MH staff available to cope with everyone.

Mental health groups offer a great service but not so helpful when they see people in groups. Clients then start to think they need to fit into the dynamics within that group and it probably exacerbates their problems when they don't.

Putting it simply, I could have a ward of 20 patients, all with fractured femurs. The care given to each and every one will be exactly the same. The ongoing treatment and rehabilitation will be the same. Their recovery to their normality will be (on average) pretty much the same.

This is NOT the case with people who suffer with mental health problems. We need so much more money invested into this 'cinderella' service

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 23

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

The dearth of support in the NHS for mental health is shameful. Mental health is secondary to physical health? Who decided that?

Message 17 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MusicIan wrote:

The dearth of support in the NHS for mental health is shameful. Mental health is secondary to physical health? Who decided that?

It was decided long ago @MusicIan by those people who felt people with mental health issues should be confined to places like Bedlam.

No one understood the complexities of it then and it's only over the last 20 years the service and understanding has improved.

Let's face it, until recently it was still 'shameful' to talk about suffering with anything related to mental health.

In fact there are still many people who think you can 'snap out of it'

They make me very angry...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 23

MusicIan
  • 60 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 2 Solutions
Neither “Snap out of it” and “give yourself a good shake” did it for me.

Whereas a gin and tonic.....Tanqueray and fevertree full fat, none of that diet stuff. Quality over quantity.

I’ve just gone off piste here haven’t I.

Message 19 of 23

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Only slightly grin

Its a horrible place to be though mental health issues, its easy for "support" when you have a broken leg as its obvious!

Message 20 of 23