cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making VOIP calls

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I have tried searching on the forum for this, but havent been able to find an answer.
I have a Nokia E71 on a contract with O2 with the unlimited web bolt on.
Am I right in thinking that using voip using my unlimited web bolt on would be a breach of t&c's?
But am I also right in thinking that I can use my phone for voip as much as i like whilst conected to my home wireless network and not the O2 mobile web?

If this is the case, to make a voip call for free, do I have to call another phone connectd to the internet (mobile / computer?) or is there a way of calling a landline in Spain for free using voip whilst my mobile is connected to my home broadband?

Thanks for your help.

Dan
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
_

Have you used Skype on your PC? If you have, you'll know that you don't need to have a phone attached to make a Skype call. It works over your broadband connection.

Skype has VOIP under the bonnet.

Why don't you download and install Skype on your mobile, remove the Sim, connect to your Wlan, start Skype, and try it for yourself? Without the Sim, it won't be possible to connect to O2. That way, you can reassure yourself.

_
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
You can only get skype lite for non-windows-mobile phones. And skype lite does not work via VOIP.

I suggest Fring as this allows you to log in to skype and make calls over VOIP. You can make a call out to spain, if they have skype it will be free, if it is a regular number you will be charged to your skype account.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
VoIP is a big subject and a few searches on Google should get you plenty of articles to read up on.

Basically, Skype is one option as mentioned by other posters, however (again as mentioned), Fring is a better choice as it allows you to call on Skype via your internet connection (the Skype client doesn't).

If the E71 is anything like the N95 family of phones, i.e. it has an Internet Telephone application built-in, this is even better as it can get you out of the confines of Skype and into the world of SIP. Again a few Google searches should explain to you what this is. Check out sites like callcentric.com, voipfone.co.uk, sipgate.co.uk to get an idea. You can set up any of these services on your phone's Internet Telephone options, and by adding some credit to your account with the SIP service, you will be able to make VoIP phone calls on your Nokia through your WiFi connection at the SIP provider's cheap rates.

When connecting your phone to your home broadband via WiFi, this has absolutely nothing to do with O2 and with your mobile phone account/service with O2.

For the record, VoIP on Nokia phones (and Fring) will work not only via WiFi but also over a 3G connection. However this is against O2's T&Cs, as you pointed out.
Nevertheless, that part of the T&Cs is there to prevent abuse, rather than every single instance of VoIP or streaming use wink
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Of course if you want cheap international calls, there are plenty of providers which give you an 020 access number (and therefore comes out of your free O2 minutes), and charge only 1 or 2p per minute for international landline calls.
Message 5 of 5