Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major data leak, and overpricing scam

nicknez
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So saturday morning I am browsing O2 website (and others) in search of a new device with a monthly plan. I chose one I like at O2 put it in my basket procceed to complete my "PERSONAL DATA" but not completing the order because I was between home delivery and click and collect. I leave my house to go shop and i get a phone cal from an O2 agent. he already knew my personal information and what i had in my shopping cart so I am convinced he is indeed from O2. he said he can make me a better offer from £29 that i chose with 4gb net to 33 with 15gb and of course I accept. I return home and later in the afternoon i speak to live chat about my order to see when it will be shipped and it was already completed and dispatched to me. i was impressed with the speed. And now for the good part I finaly receive my O2 account activation and go and check my account, My order was indeed for a 15gb monthly program at £33 but with a huawei y6 that the official price on the site is 23. I call o2 right away and the answer was that they didnt call me but some company that is making outbound calls as a reseller. so basicaly that reseller got my personal info from O2 and tried to scam me with O2 help. they say everything is fine and not to worry as long as I dont accept the delivery. and so I do and its sent back to sender. Next day i receive an sms that my monthly bill was issued. I call again of course and an agent says to leave it on him... he will fix everything and call me! still 4th day today the bill still is there waiting payment for a phone and a sim i never got in my  hands overpriced sold to me as a deal and I am still waiting to see what will happen,,,

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@nicknez I'll tag @Martin-O2  and @EmilieT  to see if they can help you.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

nicknez
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I am not posting to get help. I made the post clearly to warn other users in case they have similar issue with me because I am sure I m not the first and wont be the last

Message 3 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No problem.
I'll ask for your post to be moved to the feedback forum then.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

@nicknez  You may very well need some help if the charge isn't removed.

As a general rule of thumb, never agreeing to anything from a cold caller is the best way to go, no matter who they say they are.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

nicknez
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

i couldnt agree more @Bambino . It was stupid of me to agree with him but since he knew everything I thought it was a follow up from 02 because I left my order half way throught. Normaly as T&C of O2 state the number activation and start of billing happens the moment you receive with any way your order. Mine was comming to me preactivated. Also a major issue is that now i cant sigh a contract with another provider because when I pass the credit check it appears I have an active one with O2

Message 6 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

Sounds a bit of a mess @nicknez. I hope you're able to get it sorted quickly.

Why would they send you a phone pre-activated? All sorts of problems could arise if it gets lost in the post, and you would be liable for the charges. That makes no sense to me. You really need to keep on at customer service to ensure you aren't paying for something you never received.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

They don’t tend to follow up & it’s one of their crooked so called “trusted partners” not O2

Message 8 of 12

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Hmm dodgy ground though...
If the buyer had entered his info but NOT completed the sale, the selling company cannot pass on details even to trusted partners, as the agreements sent out haven't theoretically been agreed to.
It's as if they passed on info of anyone visiting the site that entered information anywhere.
You can't pass on customer information, of non customers...
This is REALLY worrying
Message 9 of 12

nicknez
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So the latest updates. In order to find a solution I went throught resolver and ended up to fraud and security department. Fraud dep announced me that it was actually a phone call from O2 and not a trusted partner or another company. Just O2 trying to fool a customer. So fraud department did what they could and the official O2 responce is that once they have received back my order wich all these days is left at dhl depot will cancel my account and bills. so my active contract and a device billed on me is at dhl depot and if someone decides to mess up with it,  i am getting BILLED??? nice move O2 I ll wait till monday and then I am taking legal action even for a compensation. there are companies that love handling these situations

Message 10 of 12