cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MINIMUM TOP UP AMOUNT FOR PAYG CUSTOMERS

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok this is more just a query than anything else. Why on the majority of phone networks (be it mobile or for broadband) are people able to top up a minimum of £5, yet o2 only let you top up by a minimum of £10??
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You'd have to ask O2, but I've always thought it was because the free allowances have a minimum top up of £10 a month. It would cause much confusion if people could top up in smaller amounts. (Look at the number of people who get confused about topping up now, and imagine trying to explain to them !)
Perhaps one way round it would be to offer mini top ups advertised (in BIG letters) as having no free allowance.
Message 2 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
It's been that for some years now, try another company if you want £5 top ups.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
" but I've always thought it was because the free allowances have a minimum top up of £10 a month."
Ahh no unlimted texts are now £7.50 so less than £10.I think this is like another posting . ppl should be able to top up the requirment not what the network thins examlpe. 30 0mins umlited texts was £15 now £15.50 you now have to buy top up for £20 pounds
Tkae the BB blot on and rather than top up £25 in a shop you now have to buy £30 yet cost is £20.50 reason o2 will not let you top up £20.50 and you cant buy a £25 top up in boots to name one store
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
" but I've always thought it was because the free allowances have a minimum top up of £10 a month."
Ahh no unlimted texts are now £7.50 so less than £10.I think this is like another posting . ppl should be able to top up the requirment not what the network thins examlpe. 30 0mins umlited texts was £15 now £15.50 you now have to buy top up for £20 pounds
Tkae the BB blot on and rather than top up £25 in a shop you now have to buy £30 yet cost is £20.50 reason o2 will not let you top up £20.50 and you cant buy a £25 top up in boots to name one store

But those aren't the FREE allowances that I talk about in the post you quote. You are talking about the PAID allowances you buy on O2 Simplicity. So you've gone off at all tangent.
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
" But those aren't the FREE allowances that I talk about in" Oh right so what are.

If i buy a PAYG mobile and top up with say £10 I get 100 mins and unlimited texts for that top up.. So tell me what I get for free?? Do o2 give me something free above that?
Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are payg plans that give you unltd texts or 100 international minutes etc without taking the £10 so you still have the credit to use as you want. These are the free allowances. Some people have posted on here that they have built up balances of over £100 in credit because they only ever use the free part.
Message 7 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
" But those aren't the FREE allowances that I talk about in" Oh right so what are.

If i buy a PAYG mobile and top up with say £10 I get 100 mins and unlimited texts for that top up.. So tell me what I get for free?? Do o2 give me something free above that?

You are on Pay and Go Simplicity. If you look at the regular Pay and Go tariffs; they all come with an free allowance.
For example, on Text and Web topping up £10 gives you 300 texts, 500 megabytes of data and you keep the £10 to spend on calls etc.
But you've rather dragged the thread off topic.
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you top up over the phone with credit/debit card you can topup different amounts ie £11
Message 9 of 9