cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life with the LG G4

Anonymous
Not applicable

After having the phone 2 weeks, I now feel it’s adequate time to give my impressions.

By now everyone knows the specs, 2K screen, awesome camera, expandable memory... I’ll try focus on actually using the phone.

First impressions for me coming from a Z3 compact was this is a big phone, it’s definitely not a one handed phone unless you’re a basketball player but still very manageable for most tasks using just one hand.

The camera is amazing. The optical image stabilisation is a must have and the camera takes fantastic pictures in low light conditions. The combination of the large aperture (f1.8), optical image stabilisation and the laser focus has meant only a handful of pictures have come out slight out of focus, taking into account I’ve taken over 1000 pictures its truly impressive. With my Z3c I was having to retake pictures more often than I’d like to admit. Manual mode is fun to play with, I’d recommend a Joby tripod or similar if you’re planning on long exposures. Also take the pictures using one of the voice prompts as this will avoid any shake on the camera. The results you can achieve are stunning. Everyone who has played with the phone and viewed the pictures have been truly impressed. Displaying them on the stunning 2K screen also helps as the detail you can see is eye candy. Someone mentioned the double tap of the volume buttons not always working to fire off a "quick" picture without waking up the screen first, its worked everytime for me barring when you have headphones or bluetooth devices with volume controls connect as the volume buttons are obviously now set to control the volume.

Performance is snappy and lag free in normal day to day use. Everything opens quickly and transition between apps is super quick. The only time I ever had lag was when I was doing ALL of these at the same time, updating loads of apps, copying videos to the phones sd card, downloading my Spotify playlist and using the phone normally. Doubt any phone could handle all of that and still be super snappy. Even under load it handled all those tasks at once pretty well. As mentioned, during normal daily activities it is smooth as.  

The knock knock feature for waking up the phone by tapping on the screen helps immensely due to the power button being on the back of the phone. While in your hand having the volume and power on the back is very convenient and better than the sides as they are where your index finger normal lies and you don’t end up pressing them while holding the edges, while the phone is flat on the table not so much. This is where knock knock comes in. TIP: You can also put the phone back to sleep by double tapping the top status bar or free space on any home screen. While the phone is unlock the volume options are easily accessible by pulling down the status bar but sadly these are not available on the lock screen so you’d still have to pick up the phone to change the volume which isn’t an issue but just an omission/oversight perhaps. 

Battery life, the number one feature everyone wants but hardly any phone delivers... Over all I’ve been impressed, coming from a Z3c which was voted best battery life of 2014, the LG G4 is on par or better considering it has a 5.5 inch 2k screen vs the 4.6 inch 720p on the Z3c. On a normal day I’d be home in the evening with enough spare capacity I wouldn’t be worried it was going to die on the train home. I do use the phone a fair bit so that is impressive. On days I used the phone lightly I had > 50% by the end of the work day. Days I went out taking pictures nonstop I burnt through the battery in about 7 hours, which doesn’t sound great but I’m talking about taking 200+ pictures with hours of onscreen time in bright sunlight so the phone needed to bump up the brightness high. Taking that into consideration and other phones I have used would be dead in about 4-5 hours so it’s definitely got some stamina. You could carry a spare battery around if you really needed to as the rear cover is removable, would be handy on a holiday.

The plastic back does feel like plastic, surprise surprise. I like putting a cover on my phones so that’s just fine with me as I’d rather have a removable cover with access to the battery and memory card slot than a sealed back which you can’t see once the cover is on anyways. I haven’t seen the leather backed version of the phone so can’t comment. I think the leather back with a tampered glass screen protector (nillkin or the like) would give it a great look yet still feel its adequately protected.

Over all I think it’s a fantastic phone and have had great time testing it. Everyone who has used the phone has been really impressed with the screen clarity and camera quality which in my opinion are two mayor components phones need to get right these day. As mentioned before, battery life has pulled through and I haven’t had any days going home empty. Check out www.trylgg4.co.uk to view the photo archives of real people using the phone.

Forgot to add if you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Size isn't everything?!

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 11 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@anticpated wrote:

Size isn't everything?!

Age is though! LOL

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 12 of 23

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@anticpated wrote:

Size isn't everything?!

Age is though! LOL

^^^^^^^ What he said.....Bouncy. ....(and I am talking about eyesight and 'cronky' fingers). LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 23

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Yes with the advent of big screens I no longer have to wear glasses to read texts ad see who is calling....

Message 14 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great review!!
Message 15 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very good review @Anonymous! With all the essential information and easy to read!

Message 16 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

After much deliberation I've finally taken the plunge, and bought one myself  slight_smile

I took out a refresh plan yesterday, and paid off the balance today, as well as cancelling the airtime plan. It might seem a long winded way of doing things, but a helpful customer services advisor persuaded me that it was worth doing, just to get it unlocked (without waiting twelve months on a PAYG handset, and then paying for the privilege).

Unfortunately, because my iPhone has a nano sim, I'm still waiting for a replacement sim to arrive in the post. But that gives me a couple of days to get to grips with Android, and so far I've found setting the device up (importing contacts and suchlike) to be quite straightforward. I'll give it a couple of weeks, and then I'll share my thoughts on how the transition has gone wink

Message 17 of 23

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Was it cheaper than buying from gg or CPW?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Was it cheaper than buying from gg or CPW?

I paid £480 exactly (on O2 PAYG it's advertised as £479.99). CPW are selling it for £519.99, giffgaff are cheaper at £459, but don't appear to be selling the brown leather version (which is what I've gone for).

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phones/lg-g4

https://www.giffgaff.com/lg/lg-g4/phone-details

Message 19 of 23

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Decent price for that phone slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 23