Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos for "Off Topic"?

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25145 Posts
  • 810 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I realise that kudos are a way of saying "Thank you" for the support and advice in the main sections of the Community and that "Off Topic" is the fun section.

However, in "Off Topic", members have shown support and comfort to each other - as I, myself, will bear witness - and I believe that there should be the opportunity to recognise how much this means by being able to award members kudos and ask if it is possible to consider this when reviewing the changes which might be forthcoming?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I think the original question was in relation to giving kudoes in Off Topic @Anonymous 

As someone who spends most of her time in Off Topic, I advocated aginst it, due to abuse of the system.

@jonsiepointed out this sort of abuse when the iPhone releases. 'I've got my phone' ...a kudo or 2 are given. 'I'm still waiting for mine' ...Never mind, here have a kudo.. The usual iphone buyers forming a little gang of their own. (If it were possible, I would remove those sort of kudo's and that's not an off topic thread!)

My personal  criteria for awarding a kudo, is when I learn something new, reading a great review or How To guide. I also love to see new members getting involved and providing others with the correct answer to a question asked (showing that they have watched and learned)

I occasionally give a kudo if a post is brilliantly funny, or bitingly sarcastic and makes me laugh.

There is so much activity in off topic now, compared to a couple of years ago, awarding kudoes would be like sprinkling confetti (to use your own words)

Whilst they remain part of the 'algorithm' for rewards, I will never change my mind about kudos in Off Topic. Cat

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 19

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Perfectly put @Cleoriff 

Just think how the system could be abused in what are probably the most active threads, the ABC murder!

Message 12 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Just to make a point (again)...

Why on earth would someone give me a kudo for giving my opinion that PJ Proby was more than rubbish last night, or telling the Dormouse to get back in his teapot? joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 19

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just to make a point (again)...

Why on earth would someone give me a kudo for giving my opinion that PJ Proby was more than rubbish last night, or telling the Dormouse to get back in his teapot? joy

Yep.....what the hell?

Message 14 of 19

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
There are certain people who would give out kudos for farting though so long stopped taking any notice of their worth.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 19

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There are certain people who would give out kudos for farting though so long stopped taking any notice of their worth.

A voice of sanity!

Message 16 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an interesting discussion, and I don't really have strong views either way. I was just curious to get an understanding of what might influence any decision to restrict the use of kudos in some sections. A couple of years ago I made a similar comment about the Community Spotlight (in this post here). Although it wasn't acted upon at the time, I notice that that popular thread has since been moved to "Welcome & News".

This is quite a small community, and there's a few of us who like to read (i.e. more than they post), so sometimes it's frustrating in situations where you've nothing more to add to the discussion, but would still like to express agreement or simply acknowledge a well-written post. But I appreciate that there could be drawbacks if there weren't suitable measures in place, so it's a difficult balance to strike, and you can't always get it right.

But I'm only thinking out loud, so just ignore me  wink

Message 17 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I've looked at the post you highlight @Anonymous .

It was another spotlight posted in 2014 and appeared in Off Topic. (no kudos)

Originally Spotlights were posted in Off Topic and then when the 'new guard' moved in, they started to appear in Welcome and News, which is a far better place for them (In my opinion)

Just a few here and if you check you will see half were in Off Topic and after 2014, new ones went into the welcome thread.

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?q=Spotlight+Cleoriff

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 19

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I know what you mean @Anonymous and there are plenty of times I would like to kudo a post in off topic b but it has been badly abused in the past  Kudos do count towards rewards and to move more quickly up the rankings.

There is no real answer to this unfortunately but the way the mystical algorithm works is known only to the admin team so this is how it works best for them. It baffles everyone on here and at times we wonder if it even exists.... 

Message 19 of 19