Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kudos for "Off Topic"?

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I realise that kudos are a way of saying "Thank you" for the support and advice in the main sections of the Community and that "Off Topic" is the fun section.

However, in "Off Topic", members have shown support and comfort to each other - as I, myself, will bear witness - and I believe that there should be the opportunity to recognise how much this means by being able to award members kudos and ask if it is possible to consider this when reviewing the changes which might be forthcoming?

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Personally speaking, no.
Off topic is just for chat and we've managed for years without the need to add kudos in off topic areas.
Just my opinion wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 19

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Mi-Amigo 

Sorry to say, I disagree with you on this one.

I accept your sentiment about 'others helping others', however there is a risk that the kudo system could be abused.

Primarily, the forum is a place to help people with O2 related issues and if those people have a problem solved then a kudo is a nice way of thanking the poster.

A few people have no interest in Off Topic (and that is absolutely their choice) ...others come here to post only in off topic and again, that's their choice.

Kudos are one part of the 'algorithim' used to assess community rewards, so you will understand what I mean when I say it could be abused.

I post a hell of a lot in Off Topic and I  just wouldn't like to see a Kudo system in that part of the forum.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 19

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25156 Posts
  • 811 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you @MI5 and @Cleoriff for your feedback.

Now that you have explained how kudos is used in assessing awards and therefore could, potentially, be abused for all the wrong reasons, and, with your length of time with the Community, your experiences, and contributions, I can see the logic in what you have said and would like to withdraw my suggestion for kudos to be on Off Topic in any consideration to future changes.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 4 of 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

A simple thank you, or a PM to say it is far better anyway, @Mi-Amigo . At least it is in my opinion.:smileywink:

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 19

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Even now with kudos being awarded and given in some threads  it's quite easy to spot when kudos are much abused. The annual iPhone mega - thread is a classic example, kudos being given for posting times and dates when ordered. Post the colour for another kudo.

Being given in off topic when many people don't participate would be too much, two people could give a kudo to each other post after post  

Message 6 of 19

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35929 Posts
  • 228 Topics
  • 1591 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

A simple thank you, or a PM to say it is far better anyway, @Mi-Amigo . At least it is in my opinion.:smileywink:

...when the PM "Message waiting" indicator function has been restored, of course! dart

Message 7 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Some valid points raised, so it's kind of ironic that not a single kudos has been awarded  thinking

Edit: typo

Message 8 of 19

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

@Anonymous wrote:

Some valid points raised, so it's kind of ironic that not a single kudos has been awarded  thinking

Message 9 of 19

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just playing devil’s advocate wink

Having experienced another forum where they’re handed out like confetti, I actually understand the reluctance to go down that road. 

But I can’t help wondering if this community is sometimes a little too cautious about changing things. Forum regulars  tend to set the right example anyway, and the idea of using them sparingly is quite refreshing. I was using this thread as an example of how little influence they appear to have sometimes. 

The potential for abuse would always be there, but there are other ways of dealing with it. Perhaps there’s a discussion to be had about what they actually mean, rather than simply trying to restrict their use. 

Message 10 of 19