cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep insurance or not?

Anonymous
Not applicable
When I got my new phone I took the O2 Prem insurance out as, with my last phone, when it went wrong all I got was refurbs. Thing is now this phones not working properly so it went back but I've ended up with a refurb one instead.

As said I took the higher end insurance out incase anything happen so guaranteeing me a new phone, but no. So I'm thinking of stopping the insurance as I'm not happy paying £7.50 (?) for a refurb phone.

I believe I'm right in saying that even if your not insured and it breaks down, O2 will replace you a refurb anyway? so can't really see the point of paying all that per month when I'm ending up with a refurb.

I'm on a tight budget and thought I was doing the right thing, but now........

Hubby says to cancel and so does my friend who thought I was daft to take it out in the first place.

advise please?
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
The insurance covers you for loss, theft or accidental damage, if any of this happens then o2 wont replace your phone, they only do this for faulty phones.

If you can afford to replace the phone if any of the above happens then cancel.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
from wanty

The insurance covers you for loss, theft or accidental damage, if any of this happens then o2 wont replace your phone, they only do this for faulty phones.

but surely if your phone's been stolen/loose it you won't have a phone to repair so they have to give you a new phone? the same would apply if it was accidentally damaged too? Unless my understanding of your help is wrong thats is-apologise if so.

I'm sorry but I don't understand as the T's & C's say they replace with new phone?

having said that they also state that they can cancell your insurance if you do claim which is a bit naughty as thats what you're paying for.

Can you please clarify wanty-thanks
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wanty is correct, the insurance covers you against lost/theft/damage. If you didn't have insurance and your phone is accidentally damged/lost/stolen then you will get nothing and have to buy a new phone yourself.
Message 4 of 7

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
What wanty is saying is that o2 will only replace the phone if there is a fault with it. If its lost/stolen or damaged then you will get nothing from o2 but can claim from the insurance. With the cost of hi-spec handsets today you have to decide whether you can afford to replace it should it be lost whereas for £7.50/month, you get it replaced like for like.
There have been many posts on here where people have lost or dropped the phone down the toilet etc a month or so after spending £3-400 on the phone and had no insurance. So its personal choice or risk. The OP has not had to claim so in effect has spent £90 which she sees as wasted as she has not had to put in a claim so she has to weigh up that up against her budget. Hindsight is easy...if the phone had been damaged accidentally, or worse, stolen, she would have been very relieved to have insurance.
My choice, for my peace of mind, is insurance.
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dropped my phone down the toilet once :robotsurprised:

Luckily, it was a clean toilet and I turned it straight off and dried it out before any damage was done.
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Many thanks for all your help.

Stevy, you've clarified it well-thanks mate.

I know its down to personal choice.At one time didn't have any seperate cover and dropped my new phone into a cup of tea! couldn't believe it! so had to pay £100 excess on our house insurance-the phone was a present too. After that I went with Barclays, but changed to O2 at upgrade.

You're right though Stevy, it's peace of mind innit

wanty, that's something that's done a lot-glad it was before you used the loo wink
Message 7 of 7