cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's official!!! Apple are the scum of the earth.

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35502030

You want it repaired? Pay through the nose or get it disabled.
Message 1 of 77
76 REPLIES 76

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I can only think they need to rewrite the software otherwise they are going to lose customers big time. Apparently it's all down to the home button and fingerprint sensor.

Message 31 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't followed this story with any real interest, but apparently the reference to unofficial work being carried out on the "Touch ID" sensor for example, has more to do with protecting sensitive data.

When you consider the popularity of features like Apple Pay, is that approach necessarily wrong?

Message 32 of 77

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I can only think they need to rewrite the software otherwise they are going to lose customers big time. Apparently it's all down to the home button and fingerprint sensor.

I also read that and when I did a 5s screen it advised me to change the sensor/home button and cable assembly at the time and not use the non fingerprint one fitted!

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 33 of 77

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't followed this story with any real interest, but apparently the reference to unofficial work being carried out on the "Touch ID" sensor for example, has more to do with protecting sensitive data.

When you consider the popularity of features like Apple Pay, is that approach necessarily wrong?

Yes.

Sorry but it's not like the sensor is foolproof anyway.

It would've been very easy to code in something different to re-confirm identity.

But nope, nothing but bricking is adequate.

I also think it's shocking they are disabling phones that have been damaged but not repaired.

Message 34 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Well on ebay example (mods remove if not allowed) an iphone6s screen is for example £169 says oem screen or if you take it to apple for £106.44 (less £7.44 instore)

Or with apple care £79 https://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

It's a non-story for anyone who has a new iPhone that's still covered by an Apple warranty, but even if it's out of warranty I'd still recommend a trip to the Genius bar. I don't have an iPhone these days, but I've always been pleasantly surprised by both the cost and quality of service at my local Apple store.

It's a bit like car ownership, and I'd always take my VW to an authorised dealer, rather than Kevin Webster's garage. But each to their own I suppose  wink

Message 35 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@adamtemp64 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I also read that and when I did a 5s screen it advised me to change the sensor/home button and cable assembly at the time and not use the non fingerprint one fitted!

Hoping that you would follow that advice then they could brick your phone @adamtemp64?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 36 of 77

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes people are getting this error before a phone is even sent for a repair.

Message 37 of 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

Yes people are getting this error before a phone is even sent for a repair.

Well clearly that is an issue that needs to be addressed, and I've no doubt that they will.

Hey, I'm an ex Apple fan these days. I'm just trying to put this story into a little more context, because I think I understand the approach at least.

Message 38 of 77

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@adamtemp64 is a dedicated iPhone user and has been for years.....and if he can't see the sense in it.. then that will do for me @Anonymous LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 39 of 77

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I think we all understand.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 40 of 77