cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is that a 5G upgrade?

Anonymous
Not applicable

On my way to work I pass an O2 antenna installation on a roundabout and this morning there were a bunch of vehicles and a crane with a company name on.

When at work on my lunchbreak I ran my postcode through the My Network app and sure enough there was a note about masts not working due to upgrade work.

When I got home I Googled the name of the company and it said they were a mobile network logistics supplier (not going to name the company as that's between them and O2)

I'd rather not put my postcode on a public forum but just wondered if anyone like Chris K could tell me if they are indeed upgrading the local mast for 5G (provided it's not considered commercially sensitive of course)

I ask purely out of interest, am waiting to see what 5G handsets HMD release.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

You'll need to tag @Chris_K for him to get a notification.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 

Cheers, didn't specifically do that as this is way down the pecking order in what they have to do in a day but thought it might be seen in passing.

Message 3 of 6

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11992 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Could it be an alternative to Kelly's heroes @Anonymous?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 6

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Hey there. In a nut shell, I wouldn't be able to confirm if it's a 5G upgrade or not because while we've already announced that Belfast, Cardiff, Edinburgh, London, Slough and Leeds will be our initial launch locations, we have not yet announced details of the further 20 sites we'll be bringing 5G to by the end of 2020.

For anyone interested in 5G, some handy links:

• Visit our 5G microsite for more info
  • Check our coverage checker out once 5G goes live to see where 5G is
  • Check out our range of 5G compatible devices at the bottom of our 5G microsite. As of 9 Oct 2019, those devices are the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G, the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5G, and the Samsung Galaxy A90 5G. We will range more 5G devices in the coming months, which we'll announce here and on our official social media feeds.

Our 5G network will go live this month, so keep your eyes peeled for a big launch day announcement coming your way soon.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K 

Fair enough and thanks for the reply, just thought I'd ask slight_smile

Am waiting to upgrade until it reaches the mid range as I tend to buy my phones SIM free and am hoping HMD will announce something soon as I've been really impressed with my Nokia 5 but don't want to spend a fortune.

Trouble I'm having though is finding a phone now with a screen that isn't too large as don't really want to be holding a mini tablet to my ear or trying to hold one but I definitely couldn't go back to a feature/basic phone now, unless Motorola wanted to re-release the StarTac.

Message 6 of 6