cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to change last 2 digits of O2 number?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This may sound ridiculous but I've been told that it's possible to have the last 2 digits of your O2 number swapped around.

My brother is receiving nuisance calls and believes they will be able to contact O2 and request that the last two digits of the mobile number be changed - something they claim a friend had done a few months ago.

My understanding is that a completely new number/sim would be provided in this "nuisance calls" situation.

Can anyone clarify if any of this is possible, please? I'll be the one having to contact O2 on my brother's behalf (because they are deaf) so I want to avoid the trouble if this 2 digit swapping theory is all nonsense.

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I've only ever heard of a new number getting allocated but I guess it is possible that the number with the last 2 digits reversed could be available.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I always understood you were allowed one number change free of charge...but wasnt aware you could choose the number?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I neither have heard of this and I would think officially O2 customer services could clarify.

It's awful when nuisance calls occur.

Here's o2 guidance on it http://www.o2.co.uk/help/everything-else/unwanted-calls-and-messages
Message 4 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

When i changed my number due to nuisance calls (albeit around 5 years ago), they said they would do mit for free (just the once in my contract period), and gave me three or four numbers to choose from. I doubt you would be allowed to 'customise' your own number. And as @MI5 pointed out, that new number might already be allocated.

Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the very quick response everyone.

I agree that is sounds unlikely, especially, when considering that many number combinations (if not all) will already be in use by other people.

My brother is going to try and look into this now. They see I'm not a believer. I suspect their friend has provided them with only a smarll part of the story of what happened when they changed their number.

If I discover that you can indeed change that last two digits (or whatever amount) I'll post back and let everyone know.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I'd be interested to hear what they say, so please do update us....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes please do keep us updated. Thanks for sharing this.

be good to hear what happens

Message 8 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to disappoint but it looks like I'll never learn much more.

My brother has now decided to look for a new sim; there appear to be plenty you can get from eBay with the phone numbers already displayed.

To me, this indicates that my brother has gone back to the original source of the story (about changing the last two digits) and found it to be a untrue. If it were true they'd still be pursuing that option rather than buying a brand new sim.

(My brother isn't reliable when it comes to the the truth so I have to read around whatever they say happened. Which is why I wasn't convinced about this 2 digit swap story in the first place.)

Thanks again for everyone's quick response. It looks like it was just a bit of a tall tale (if I do find otherwise, I will let everyone know in this thread).

Message 9 of 12

MI5
  • 144319 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
No worries mate and thanks for the update.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 12