cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 5G being stretched before it's even properly launched?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Saw this on the Airbus channel, does make me wonder if the capabilities of 5G are being overstated.

Just like previous mobile network generations, it's all good now as the traffic on the new networks is relatively light but things tend to slow when networks are heavily loaded.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Anonymous I thought the arrival of 5G was meant to be the advent of driverless ground vehicles as well. This is obviously still many years away, so how could this be considered overstretching?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

4K Cat videos will soon bring 5G to its knees rofl

But on a serious track, its going to depend on the volume of data per device is going be transmitted. You don't need a great deal of information transmitted for doing simple things but data compression/uncompression on hardware will be a key factor driving this otherwise the networks will get clogged up especially in congested areas. 

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambino 

In all previous generations there's been an access priority system in terms of subscriber access

Prepay at the bottom, Pay Monthly, Business Pay Monthly, Emergency Services/Government/Network Engineering SIMs.

You would think any traffic involved in control of vehicles would have a top priority on the network as it should and other traffic should be dumped in the event of the volume exceeding the bandwidth available on the backhaul as it's more likely that will be where any bottleneck will develop.

However what happens when the majority of traffic occupies the same priority level when you have drones, air taxis and what not flying around.

Add to this people streaming video over all kinds of devices, so it will no doubt come to a point, again where people complain about slowdown.

It's being hyped the same as previous generations but my concern is the applications are potentially dangerous if any onboard systems work in a remote control type fashion as opposed to being able to make decisions in a broken link situation.

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I understand what you're saying (to a degree) @Anonymous, but 5G is in its infancy, so I think it's too early to draw any conclusions. It's probably a silly (and maybe even dangerous) thing to say, but we're going to have to trust the networks and the government to sort the priorities out. Fingers crossed they get it right. Destroy

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Well as most Governments or Government personnel are not even remotely in charge par se and as all Network providers are understandably money driven
I'll keep my head down 🥴

🥺 @Anonymous @Bambino

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think the key point here is that 5G will supplement 4G, rather than replace it. Many of us will continue to enjoy a good service without having to make that upgrade, and may even benefit from less congestion as a result of having an expanded network.

It's a bit like turning a dual carriageway into a three lane motorway, but that's probably underselling it thinking

Edit: typo

Message 7 of 10

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Great I'll have that @Anonymous
and that's probably what will happen in the medium term. 😍

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd rather they stretch it now & let cars & drones loose later!

Most of us like a bargain & don't need 5g.. so.. How about they give us a discount on using 2G, 3G & 4G only. It'd leave us with a few extra quid in our pockets & more bandwidth for those who need it.

Message 9 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Pigs will fly before that happens @Anonymous.... or drones.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10