• 15 Solutions
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I actually posted an article about this over a week ago, and @Cleoriff posted an accompanying article in her reply, but very few people took any notice. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/New-Scam-To-Watch-Out-For/td-p/1263599

Thanks @Bambino I knew something had been posted previously and it was on Watchdog.

I attempted a search but couldn't remember the thread title slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 22

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10764 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Yes you did and was much appreciated.

@Bambino 

May be liggerz87 didn't see it 'cause he was  too busy with his rats possiblyD'oh!

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 12 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
More info

@Bambino wrote:

I actually posted an article about this over a week ago, and @Cleoriff posted an accompanying article in her reply, but very few people took any notice. https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/New-Scam-To-Watch-Out-For/td-p/1263599

It's important to remember that sim jacking is just the final piece of the jigsaw, as you're already a victim of identity theft by the time it happens.

You just have to consider how much information we reveal about ourselves, to help fraudsters build up that picture. 

Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
I’ve seen that twitter, Faceache & snapchat all give you the option to add a phone number.

I wonder if there are apps that insist you give them a number, presumably WhatsApp needs your number.. so that’s another app owned by Facebook..
so can they get your number by downloading your Facebook data?
And for that matter, if you add your contacts to Facebook.. can they download your address book and get other people’s numbers?
Which I guess makes us non faceache users a target??

Any faceache fans out there?
Message 15 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I use FB and despite being prompted frequently to add my mobile number, I have refused their 'generous offer' wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

But it's just a phone number, which on it's own won't reveal too much about your identity. And if push comes to shove, you can always change it (not ideal I know, but it's always an option).

You just have to decide who you can trust, and there are some companies (such as my bank) who I'd be happy to have contact via a mobile number, particularly in situations that require my immediate attention (e.g. unusual activity on one of my bank accounts). If you only give a landline number, that call may come too late.

Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m sure when I looked at a download it gave a full contact list, but even if it didn’t.. a list of names and a look at the profiles.. it wouldn’t take a genius..

I’d suggest everyone downloads their data.. it’s amazing the amount of stuff they have, which you didn’t know they had.

Message 18 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Celebrities get caught out because there’s a lot of information that’s already out there on websites like Wikipedia (such as their date of birth). But for the rest of us, it’s a question of how much information we choose to publish.

It’s not just social media profiles that can be a problem, people are often careless in their interactions on social media. When you wish someone a happy birthday, particularly if it’s a milestone like turning 40, you’re confirming their date of birth, which is another piece in that jigsaw.

Edit: typo

Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on how you look at it, this is either reassuring that the banks are looking after you, or it's vindication for not using their apps in the first place  thinking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50169457

It's worth noting that Samsung are responsible for that particular security flaw, rather than the app developers. 

Edit: to add clarification. 

Message 20 of 22