Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I guess Voda would have some strong objections too, looking at that graph.

I honestly haven't read anything about Voda but it was interesting to read that Sky, which is due to enter the mobile market this year via a wholesale deal to use the O2 network to create an MVNO, has already backed the merger

No surprise really...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

More info released here from the Telegraph so it's certainly gathering momentum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/telecoms/12139250/Million...

An interesting quote from that report:

"The move would also reduce the number of mobile operators in the UK from four to three.

In order to quell those concerns, Hutchison is planning to freeze prices for customers on O2 and Three for five years. It will also invest £5bn to improve mobile phone coverage, reliability and data speeds; and open its network to rivals."

If I understand the implications of that statement correctly, MVNOs will be able to buy a share of the spectrum, and be more in control of their own destiny. Vodafone has jettisoned a few MVNOs recently, so perhaps the future of the MVNO market would be safer under Three's proposed merger plans.

As far as the BT merger is concerned, well they're keeping the EE brand, and they've already proved with Plusnet that they can offer products to satisfy those who are looking for a more cost effective option.

Message 22 of 22