cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illicit costs for Whatsapp messages

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am very careful when travelling out of Europe, with Roaming off so I communicate with my family by using local WIFI based Whatsapp messages which should be at no cost to me so why does O2 charge me?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
There is no charge for using WhatsApp over WiFi.
You should have mobile data off completely, not just roaming or else there is a chance that data could be used.
What are the charges you are getting?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
If data isn't manually turned off, WhatsApp as well as numerous other apps, still connect in the background.
Message 3 of 6

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Anonymous, how are you doing? Did you manage to find out why you got charged - would the above suggestions explain it?

Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi various responders, it does explain certain charges; but I had the same problem in Spain last year even with Roaming and Data off, only using the home based wifi-I queried it with O2 then and didn’t get what I considered a fair answer. With all R and D off now and only use of wifi for Whatsapp it’s still hitting my account on average £1.60 a day....two weeks behind. I can’t be bothered anymore-will probably change to EE after nearly 25 years with Bt/O2.
Message 5 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
What does your MyO2 actually say the charges are for?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 6