cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm travelling aborad in NZ and Singapore and I don't fully understand costs

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi I'm travelling to singapore and NZ, basically I understand all the call charges and data at £6 per mb. But it does not say anywhere on weather any of the data or calls will come out of my data and call allowance as part of my current contract?

Any one help at all?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey, thats a bit confusing, but having travelled to the USA I figured it out.

you get capped at £50, but O2 give you up to 40MB. That means they effectively charge £1.25 per MB. its only £6/MB until you reach £50, then the rest of the MBs are free.

By the way, this took ages for o2 help line to explain to me.

Also - Wifi is very unsecure. make sure you don't transmit any usernames/passwords, etc from public wifi points and they are very easy to intercept.

Message 5 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also confused now over the data as it says that its £6 per mb, but O2 cap it at £40 (50mb)

How is £40 = 50mb data is the cost per mb is £6, am I missing something. See below extract from o2 site

Cost per MB of using data:

Data usage£6*

See our standard international calling rates when abroad for all countries.

* O2 will automatically cap your data usage to £40 (50 MB) a month whilst you're abroad

Message 2 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

None of the calls or texts will come out of your allowance, that only applies to O2 Travel when in Europe.

The cap is £40 but I don't know how they equate it to the data quoted. Best bet is to use wifi or get the phone unlocked before you go and use a local sim card.

You could install WhatsApp but again best to use on wifi.

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Jonsie,

Yeah will use wifi where poss, just nice to know the exact costs of tihings incase I do use data etc.

Hopefully someone will be able to explain the £6 per mb but with £40 (50mb) cap,,, confused.com

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey, thats a bit confusing, but having travelled to the USA I figured it out.

you get capped at £50, but O2 give you up to 40MB. That means they effectively charge £1.25 per MB. its only £6/MB until you reach £50, then the rest of the MBs are free.

By the way, this took ages for o2 help line to explain to me.

Also - Wifi is very unsecure. make sure you don't transmit any usernames/passwords, etc from public wifi points and they are very easy to intercept.

Message 5 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Using a VPN will solve that.

There are some free ones online.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks all for your help, very usefull.
Message 7 of 10

Clydebuilt
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

This is incorrect. I recently (June 2019) transited Singapore on route from Australia to UK. I have been billed £40 for 6MB. There are no "free" MB. they'll cut your access if you exceed the limit (as previously happened to me in French Polynesia). Bit rubbish really but that is down to SIngapore I guess.

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144078 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions

@Clydebuilt wrote:

This is incorrect. I recently (June 2019) transited Singapore on route from Australia to UK. I have been billed £40 for 6MB. There are no "free" MB. they'll cut your access if you exceed the limit (as previously happened to me in French Polynesia). Bit rubbish really but that is down to SIngapore I guess.

You have posted on a 6 year old thread.

There's every chance that things have changed since.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes a little out of sync with the original postings but thanks for the info smiling

Message 10 of 10