Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei and o2

Aaron2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
With the ongoing trouble that everyone is having with Donald trump and Huawei and my new £700 phone now being worth £75 from o2 trade in, will o2 be giving everyone new phones? Or paying off our contracts? I feel like I'm getting scammed by o2 as they know I won't be able to use my phone after August and yet nothing is being done about it 😠
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Aaron2 wrote:
They have to do something as I can't use my network due to the ban, both new and old phones won't be allowed to use android after August, we won't get software or security updates or bug fixes after August either, have you read the news recently?

Why won't you be able to use your phone after August @Aaron2 ?

Is your sim going to stop working?

The only thing that will happen (at the moment) is that Huawei will stop getting updates before they hit the open market.

They will still be able to use Android, but will not get it in advance.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 11 of 14

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

The phone won't stop working, you just won't receive security updates released for android after the date unless a deal is agreed between Google & Huawei (with the Trump administration's blessing of course).

I have a Huwei P20 Pro, and am a little worried that the £100s of pounds I have left to pay on it will essentially go down the drain if a major security incident happens, not to mention the unpleasantness caused by said incident should it happen.

I doubt this will happen, but O2 I think should cut their losses and attempt to get compensation back from Google/Huawei themselves if possible (i'm sure all the networks are already looking into this), and to their customers they should offer early upgrades for any existing device contracts involving the banned phones.

i.e.

Cancel any existing device plans involving the banned phones, writing off the remaining cost, if a customer wishes to do so, and allow an early upgrade.

The customer should still be liable to take up a new device contract if they wish, at the advsertised cost, or choose to remain SIM only and use a device of their own.  They could even offer a trade-in value equal to the cost the customer has paid off their device plan to date.

That would seem a fair way to do it in my opinion.  Would be good PR for the company, and would also most likely enable them to retain a number of customers who they may well have lost as a result of this (out of their control) mess.

O2 have offered early upgrades to existing customers previously.  I myself got a 3 months early uprgade last year from O2, with O2 paying off the remainder of my device contract for me.  This was just a gesture from O2, not a response to an issue I had.

Thanks

Steve
Message 12 of 14

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey guys I had a clean up of this thread as the discussion got a little out of hand. Please remember to remain polite at all times and if you have any questions or concerns feel free to get in touch with me privately. wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 13 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Huawei have apparently planned for this and have a compatible OS ready to go

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/148118-huawei-alternative-os-without-google-huawei-pl...

There's probably likely to be a bit of a delay while operators test and approve it and of course ofcom will probably have to weigh in too but I think this is more likely than operators releasing people from contracts or swapping phones out for a different brand.

I expect they might stop ranging Huawei hardware though when it comes to 5G phones.

I don't work for O2 nor any of the networks or service providers so I don't know for certain but just find the technology and market interesting so tend to keep an eye on what's going on.

The operators and service providers will ultimately dictate what happens as they are by far manufacturers' largest customers.

Message 14 of 14