Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei and o2

Aaron2
Level 1: Joiner
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
With the ongoing trouble that everyone is having with Donald trump and Huawei and my new £700 phone now being worth £75 from o2 trade in, will o2 be giving everyone new phones? Or paying off our contracts? I feel like I'm getting scammed by o2 as they know I won't be able to use my phone after August and yet nothing is being done about it 😠
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

At the moment they are doing nothing and probably there will be unlikely to be ay sort of responce from them until the end of August.

Message 2 of 14

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10675 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 344 Solutions
Hello @Aaron2
It's a terrible thing to happen to the innocent victims. It seems it was totally unexpected by everyone. Probably not a scam by o2 as to be a scam the offender would have had to know about it before hand and this was unlikely. I was looking into buying a new mobile as my phone Lumia 640 wasn't going to be supported by Microsoft from end of this year which forced me to have to buy another mobile. I can say that the Huawei was very tempting but I chose to stay with a well known manufacturer with a known history of quality and sourced one of their new models the Galaxy A70 perfect for me very good value for money.
I hope that there will be a good outcome for everyone by August. Best of luck.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 3 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Aaron2  I wouldn't be hopeful of getting any compensation from O2 other than a small goodwill gesture. They are bound to say that they had no prior knowledge of what has occurred, it was not their fault, and the phone was sold to you in good faith. You can bet they have a roomful of lawyers working on ways not to give anything back to anyone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 14

Aaron2
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don't want compensation, I only want another phone that works and that's not a Huawei, o2 are fully aware of what's going on but they told me personally that they've not made a decision on what they're doing yet as they've got untill August, yet they will still have to give people new phones at some point 😊
Message 5 of 14

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Aaron2  A different phone would be considered compensation. Of course O2 are aware of what's going on. Everyone is. All the other networks are in the same boat, and this happened without any of them having prior knowledge of it. It's very possible that you won't get a new phone, or this problem with Google and Huawei might get resolved. You'll have to be prepared for any eventuality.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 14

Aaron2
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
According to Google Huawei have got untill August 19th to come up with something to replace the android operating system, as that's when they've got to due to the ban, their version of android is many many months away yet
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

They won’t give you a new phone. This is not of O2’s doing & likely nothing will happen & your phone will carry on as normal 

Message 8 of 14

Aaron2
  • 15 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
They have to do something as I can't use my network due to the ban, both new and old phones won't be allowed to use android after August, we won't get software or security updates or bug fixes after August either, have you read the news recently?
Message 9 of 14

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I agree, O2 need to do something but just what that is we don't yet know. I assume all the networks will decide the same. Just be patient until O2 or one of the other networks make an announcement. Maybe they will allow an early upgrade, maybe a monetary offer, who knows? Certainly no one on here I'm afraid.

Present phones will, I understand, continue to work and apps will continue to get support via Google Play. What won't happen is software and security updates.

However, we are around five weeks away so don't expect a statement just yet. In the meantime, let's hope Mr Trump and Mr Xi Jinping sort their problem out....

Message 10 of 14