Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huawei Security Risk?

welshsteve76
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 1554 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

So not sure if this has been discussed before on here, but I mentioned the possibility that I might go with a Huawei phone for my upgrade this year, and a work colleague mentioned that the UK government are wary and believe that Huawei devices may pose a security risk.

I've found the following pages that discuss this:

https://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/feature/The-Huawei-security-risk-Factors-to-consider-before-bu...

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/991896/china-security-warning-huawei-mobile-gchq-report

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/huawei-uk-security-risk-telecoms-network-gchq-warni...

Is there really any risk to us general users?  Much like the "don't use Kaspersky" articles that were flying around last year.

Thanks

Steve
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions

If you ask me its a load of scaremongering and pandering to the USA..  I always why there is no mention of  One Plus, Motorola or Lenovo.. 

All the above are Chinese owned / made handsets, which no one questions...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 3

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Its rather hard to actually pick one manufacturer who doesn't build in China these days. Its downright impossible to build any electronic product without some part being constructed in a Chinese factory at some point. From what I've seen and read of Shenzhen, its quite remarkable achievement though personally, a sad state its been allowed to become dominant because of cost. Getting a touch political there....

It's definitely based on the xenophobia with the US government in any foreign company having a large market to themselves at the expense of US ones. Doesn't matter which country it is, if its going to be a competitor to the US one, there will be an angle to leverage against it. Easy to blame that way and no doubt funded by the unseen politcal lobbyers with all the money to influence who have got money by er, outsourcing overseas.

I also think they've been caught out by encouraging IT manufacturers to outsource overseas where the supply chain will be harder to compromise. You should look up "Cisco and  CIA intercepts" to understand the lengths government sponsored spying goes to. And not just the USA but again, pointing the finger at the other ones distracts the real motive. 

Not that I'm saying there isn't a concern but at a consumer level, you're relatively safe with the big manufacturers rather than the cheaper ebay specials that are prone to spyware/malware pre-loaded as if you think about it, there is no real benefit long term as consumer items have a faster churn rate than say a data centre full of networking equipment and the corporate/government information is far more useful. 

Message 3 of 3