cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make cheap international calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't phone to the US from my iPhone at the moment. And even if I could I guess the rates would be quite high. Can anyone recommend any workarounds, cheap call through systems etc?
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have just tried the London RebTel number ranges from my O2 phone and it worked fine.

@sheepdog: RebTel is centrally hosted, they don't have a network that can be down in one area and up in another - so it would appear that if the OP was unable to call from O2 to London RebTel numbers that it is O2 that is at fault whether by an intentional block or due to a network issue.

@chippie: Not sure why you're claiming the OP is in breach of the Data Charges section of the Terms of Service, as they aren't using data services - just calling a phone number. Also Ofcom will handle individual complaints - a good starting point is http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/mobile/company/unfair/ they'll be able to offer advice.

I would argue that 'O2 may exclude from your inclusive minutes allowance calls made to any number ranges which O2 reasonably believes are being used for call forwarding services' is an unfair term of contract and as such is unenforceable.

My *home* number forwards calls to me when I'm not at home, also RebTel uses number ranges from Gamma Telecom which also provides fixed line and traditional VoIP services - it would be unreasonable to restrict O2 customers from calling these number ranges just because they *may* forward a call.
Message 21 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Inclusive minutes on O2 Pay Monthly tariffs can be used for calls made in the UK to:
standard UK landlines (starting 01, 02 or 03); and
07 numbers allocated to UK mobile network operators that provide mobile services with substantial national coverage (this currently includes the five major operators O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Vodafone and 3, and providers such as Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile and BT Fusion),
all provided that O2 may exclude from your inclusive minutes allowance calls made to any number ranges which O2 reasonably believes are being used for call forwarding services, onward calling services or numbers that pay a revenue share.

This issue is not a data one, I have spent hours using VoIP via my home broadband and my wifi enabled handset and this is none of O2's business as it is not using their data.

When I got my contract (which was prior to July 2008) I asked them about calls to Rebtel, and they didn't say anything about this being a problem.

They are not excluding these numbers from my inclusive allowance, they are barring them, and my main gripe is that they are denying it. If they had sent me a stroppy letter, or had come back with a simple 'Yes, you're right, we've blocked these numbers' when I contacted them I wouldn't be so outraged.

I have no way of telling if a UK landline contact in my address book uses a call forwarding service. I have no way of telling if a UK landline number that I call from the Yellow Pages uses a call forwarding service. Am I not allowed to contact a potential new employer because it just so happens that their firm use a call forwarding service? Will O2 compensate me for loss of potential earnings?
Message 22 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no way of telling if a UK landline contact in my address book uses a call forwarding service. I have no way of telling if a UK landline number that I call from the Yellow Pages uses a call forwarding service.

Neither can O2 - despite what they tell you.
Message 23 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
So if my childrens' school decide to switch to a call forwarding service....? I'm no longer allowed to call the school from my mobile? That's a very disturbing thought.
Message 24 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
By the way, no one should really be talking about mobile operators losing any money...

O2 are currently prolonging an offer on their simplicity (a great product, really) where you get 600 minutes and unlimited texts for £20 per month. This used to be £25 a couple of months ago.

If they are offering it at £20, they must still be making some profit out of this deal (otherwise they would never have offered it). Therefore imagine how much more profit they were making it when it was £25!! And of course, add to that all the profit that logically deduces from all the rest of their tariffs... Seriously no thinking person can claim that such operators are losing money!
Message 25 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also Ofcom will handle individual complaints - a good starting point is http://www.ofcom.org.uk/complain/mobile/company/unfair/ they'll be able to offer advice.

That's good to know. Has anyone tried to contact them on those phone numbers? It's very helpful of them to have phone numbers to give people the opportunity to speak to real people about this. By the way, who wants to bet these are VoIP numbers on OfCom's website? :smileywink:

I will try to phone them this week, if my workload permits it... But it seems they will take cases from someone who's already had something happen to them, i.e. perhaps it's best that they hear from someone whose O2 account has had blocked numbers, instead of someone with a general enquiry about the validity of the T&Cs.

Here is the link to the EU Commission's Communications Directorate contacts:
http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/communication/c ... en.htm#eco

In my opinion, you need to click on where it says 'Competition' and 'Consumer Protection', find the people responsible for these sectors and email them both. I think I will pop them a word as well, just to see what kind of procedure a complaint might follow - but like I said, they will most likely take it more seriously from someone who already has a problem.
They have great power over mobile networks regulation - we are paying cheaper EU roaming costs because of them, not because any British network or even British regulator said so :smileywink:
Message 26 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, have tried again today with no luck. O2 still denying any block, have suggested I go to my nearest O2 shop to try my SIM in another O2 phone (I have tried it in an unlocked mobile with no success, but will make double sure that this isn't a SIM issue before I take it to the next level).

I have discovered more numbers with the same prefix that I am unable to access, and I thought I'd share one with you.

http://www.busybeenannies.co.uk/

Now, why would O2 want to block my access to a London based nanny agency? I may need their services, either as an employer, or an employee! I'm sure this agency has it's reasons for using a call forwarding service, it makes sense that it may be a good way of keeping in touch with employees and employers alike regardless of their location. It's a matter of logistics, surely? How is O2 losing money by them being reached via a call forwarding service? Unreasonable.
Message 27 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can call the numbers on that website from my O2 phone.
Message 28 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can call BusyBeesNannies from my O2 phone too.

NiceWeatherForDucks, what is the exact prefix that you cannot get through from your phone?
Message 29 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Go on then, tell us how you arrived at Busybeenannies wink

As a mother of several young children I subscribe to quite a few well known parenting publications. Busy Bees are listed in most of them.

Not that I feel that this is relevant.
Message 30 of 36