Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find out O2's 4G rollout plans

Dab2899
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does anyone know how I find out O2's plans for 4G roll out in the Greater Belfast and Newtownabbey areas of NI?

I've just upgraded to Iphone 6 and get 4G in Belfast City Centre but not in Newtownabbey and just wondering on future timescales.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately i dont believe there is any way of finding out.

I'll be interested to hear otherwise!!!

Message 2 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unfortunately O2 refuse to publish a rollout schedule and it's likely that you will find out before anyone else. I received a text message a couple of weeks before 4G was rolled out to this area.

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Social Media Team do post some info here normally from @Chris_K ,and you can register for updates https://www.o2.co.uk/getupdates?lte and keep checking your service status http://status.o2.co.uk
Message 4 of 18

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Impossible task mate. It's a massive secret guarded by 10 Dobermans wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 18

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

And a milk deprived cat!

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not as difficult as it seems and no it doesn't involve anything illegal.

What is needed is a visit to your Local Authority building which deals with Planning Applications. 

Anything involving the name 'Cornerstone' is the third party organisation which oversees the building of the O2/Vodafone Joint Venture construction of 4G network. Now whilst many of the sites exist already, 4G does involve changing some of the mast ariels etc. And this requires planning permission. A chap on the Vodafone forum was able to advise on a lot of Vodafones plans simply by acting on this method alone. Sadly O2 and Vodafone, amongst others, may have to be a bit guarded about their plans not least because of stupid idiotic NIMBYS who say 'Masts cause cancer' and other such rubbish yet still use cellular phones. What they mean is they think all masts should be on the top of high rise flats amongst the riff raff.

Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just to update, there are TWO o2/voda projects in the joint mast commissioning programme. Cornerstone as mentioned above and also Beacon. My understanding is that if you look at a map of the UK o2 do the right and voda do the left (as an approximation).

So if checking planning apps please also look for Beacon.

Also Voda are better at updating their coverage map than o2 and will indicate if upgrades are planned in the next 3 months.
Message 8 of 18

MI5
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
and Three actually have a web page on their site to make it easy for customers !
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now there is an innovation. A mobile operator telling it's customers when 4g might be expected.

In my local area it says 4g by December but that isn't looking too promising. But I hope to have moved by then anyway.
Message 10 of 18