Did you mean: 

How much data do I need

samtheaspie
Level 1: Joiner
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hey all

I need an answer, How much data do I truly need... I am stuck I have 4GB but I am thinking I may need to return my phone and get the 12gb tariff.. I love data I use all the social apps loads, Love youtube. streaming Sky Go, Music from deezer. Speedtests. 

Help?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you can't do all that on wifi, I'd suggest 20 or 30gb tariff.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

samtheaspie
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If you can't do all that on wifi, I'd suggest 20 or 30gb tariff.

I have BT Broadband so I can use BT Wifi?

Message 3 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Yes, of course you can.
Turn on wifi on your phone and search for the network name of your BT router.
Connect to it and tap in your password.
When away from home you can also connect to all BT wifi hotspots (there is an app which will auto connect you when in range) or you can also use O2 wifi hotspots.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 9

samtheaspie
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Yes, of course you can.
Turn on wifi on your phone and search for the network name of your BT router.
Connect to it and tap in your password.
When away from home you can also connect to all BT wifi hotspots (there is an app which will auto connect you when in range) or you can also use O2 wifi hotspots.

Is there anyway I can work out how much data i need

Message 5 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Three have a data calc on their website here http://www.three.co.uk/datacalculator

Currently using:
Message 6 of 9

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Judging by what you're telling us, I'd agree 20-30GB is about right.

To put into perspective, I run a 4G Huawei Wifi Pro which is now effectively is my broadband replacement. I work from home most weeks and oddly use about 5GB just for that over the month  (remote desktops, windows updates and basically email use and thats on 8 hours a day).

Add to that I do about 2/3 hours a day using binge watching on Netflix (SD  quality as I have a CRT still that won't die) for about 5 days in 7 plus my usual web surfing/researching obscure things and downloads/updates across a couple of devices. The occasional youtube session as well but I don't do music streaming as mp3 is all I need. I have yet to exceed 50GB a month even on a heavy month pushing it!  This month, not so much on the youtube use, I still need to utilise another 15GB in the next 3 days Destroy

However, what you need to bear in mind if you are going for a contract is that you can't exactly go down to another tariff if you find your usage exceeding the allowance. Going up is ok I believe but wifi plus a little moderation is the best combo if you want to save on cost.

Somewhere in the Android settings there is a data counter with a limiter/warning but I'm not sure it exists on my iphone!

Message 7 of 9

samtheaspie
  • 11 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@sheepdog wrote:

Judging by what you're telling us, I'd agree 20-30GB is about right.

To put into perspective, I run a 4G Huawei Wifi Pro which is now effectively is my broadband replacement. I work from home most weeks and oddly use about 5GB just for that over the month  (remote desktops, windows updates and basically email use and thats on 8 hours a day).

Add to that I do about 2/3 hours a day using binge watching on Netflix (SD  quality as I have a CRT still that won't die) for about 5 days in 7 plus my usual web surfing/researching obscure things and downloads/updates across a couple of devices. The occasional youtube session as well but I don't do music streaming as mp3 is all I need. I have yet to exceed 50GB a month even on a heavy month pushing it!  This month, not so much on the youtube use, I still need to utilise another 15GB in the next 3 days Destroy

However, what you need to bear in mind if you are going for a contract is that you can't exactly go down to another tariff if you find your usage exceeding the allowance. Going up is ok I believe but wifi plus a little moderation is the best combo if you want to save on cost.

Somewhere in the Android settings there is a data counter with a limiter/warning but I'm not sure it exists on my iphone!

I think 12gb will be enough for me, I have 20gb on my old ee sim and never used it all.

I have never used more than 20gb. Only way I could is doing 50 speedtests on 4G

Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Start at 12gb then and increase it if you find you need more.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 9