Did you mean: 

How do you assess your health?

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi everyone!

As part of our health-related discussions, this time we'd like to talk about how you look after your health, in terms of assessing overall health and fitness on a regular basis.

There are many different methods and devices available for assessing your health and fitness, such as...

• Going to regular 'MOTs' or GP check-ups
  • A blood pressure monitor at home
  • Body weight scales or composition monitors
  • There are also smart scales that can also check your heart rate, body water percentage and other measures while weighing you
  • Health alert and other monitoring devices
  • Thermometers
  • Wearable tech that comes with a sensor to track things like your heart rate

It would be interesting to hear if you use any of these (or any that's not listed above) and what you think of them? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

@jonsie Something that came to mind related to things like broken fingers: in the future, it would be interesting if there was a device that you can use at home, to assess the healing process (after showing the finger to the GP): it would scan the finger, and tell you how the healing is going in terms of e.g. percentage. Today it looks like your finger is 45% healed. Today it's 90%, just a little bit more.... and then one day you scan it and it says it's 100% complete. Thoughful It could also flag if something's going wrong with it and tell you to visit your GP.

I agree that would be brilliant. I've had my fingers strapped together for three weeks now and the finger is still swollen and very sore. I'm guessing it's half healed but it doesn't feel like it is! 

Message 11 of 16

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Marjo I originally had the Apple Beddit sleep monitor which is quite expensive (RRP £149) and doesn't track as much as my new one which is a Withings Sleep (£85 when I bought it on amazon).

The new one is less obstrusive as it goes under the mattress rather than under the sheet, and it can detect breating abnormalities during sleep which can be a sign of sleep apnea which the old monitor couldn't do

The Apple Watch series 4 is a good piece of kit, more so now they've activated the ECG feature here in the UK. The larger screen compared to the previous series watches is very good too and allows you to put more information on your watch face. My watch face currently shows me battery percentage, outdoor temerature (high and low for day), my heart rate, my daily health goals, the date, a shortcut to the workout app, my calendar, sunrise/sunset and of course the time!

Message 12 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

@Marjo wrote:

@jonsie Something that came to mind related to things like broken fingers: in the future, it would be interesting if there was a device that you can use at home, to assess the healing process (after showing the finger to the GP): it would scan the finger, and tell you how the healing is going in terms of e.g. percentage. Today it looks like your finger is 45% healed. Today it's 90%, just a little bit more.... and then one day you scan it and it says it's 100% complete. Thoughful It could also flag if something's going wrong with it and tell you to visit your GP.

I agree that would be brilliant. I've had my fingers strapped together for three weeks now and the finger is still swollen and very sore. I'm guessing it's half healed but it doesn't feel like it is! 

@jonsie  Normally 2-8 weeks for a fractured finger to heal.

Depends what part of the finger is broken and how severe it is....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 16

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

@Marjo wrote:

@jonsie  Normally 2-8 weeks for a fractured finger to heal.

Depends what part of the finger is broken and how severe it is....

The bottom bit near the Knuckle....forget the name but all my hand is swollen. Apparently a bad sprain too. Guess that's what happens when 11 stone of rippling muscles meets the floor from 6 feet LOL

Message 14 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Put some ice packs on it and keep it elevated on a cushion when you can @jonsie  innocent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 16

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Damned awkward at the moment, it's not easy putting a leg on one-handed.....

Message 16 of 16