cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much/Many of your Mobile Functions do you Use?

Bill1945
Level 3: Thinker
  • 32 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Good Afternoon,

As I sat here today and admired the picturesque and photogenic winter scene outside my house (and took pictures with my mobile) I asked myself the following question:- how many of the functions of this magnificent device do you use? 

Including the default apps. I reckon that I use my phone extensively but the comms side much less than the calendar, calculator, camera and music. Toting that lot up I would say I use 75% of the phone functions.

I would really like other thoughts on the Subject.

Bill1945

Give the People a Voice
Message 1 of 71
70 REPLIES 70

Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interesting to read this thread

I am very basic with my phone, came to mobile phones rather late

Calls in & out - Texts in & out - No voicemail (deliberately switched this off) = have my phone on all the time, even during night as my fragile elderly mum may ring me or my son may ring me - Facebook - Camera, losts of pics, just point & shoot - weather - train times / info - that's about it - did once play Angela & Tom = 2 little games, but not for a long time - telephone banking - news - alarm

I use my laptop, in the little bedroom, as my window on the world - I kid you not = joined lots of groups on Facebook from numerous cat groups to various photography groups & friendship groups & trad jazz / swing groups & keeping up with schoolfriends = we are meeting up next year when we will be 65, looking forward to it ... laptop for emails - browsing the web on the odd occasion when I cannot sleep - online shopping particularly supermarket delivery to my door - news

satellite

Message 21 of 71

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Cheers for starting this interesting topic @Bill1945thumbsup Encouraged by the discussion I went over my phone settings to try find in case there exists a list of most used apps. I didn't find one but it was interesting to see total number of apps: I have 85 which I probably only use max 50%. grin

Lately I've been using mostly WhatsApp, the Weather app, various news apps, Uber, Google Maps and Citymapper for travel, and games (mostly just SimCity and Gardenscapes at the moment). My alarm clock is also only on mobile. I like to pick a different tone/song every week to wake up to. slight_smile I think (at least on iPhone) @Glory1 the alarm can stay on even if the phone is turned off otherwise? Or am I incorrect? 

I also buy most of my groceries online. Super handy especially when the nearest store is bus journey away and no car. Oh and almost forgot: the camera! I use it a lot - mostly to take photos of my cats. I have thousands. LOL

jonsie wrote:

Without my phone I would be living in the wild, living off the land and catching fish.

I would join you @jonsie!

Message 22 of 71

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MarjoI turn my Samsung phone to silent during the night....the alarm overrides that. It will also override everything if put into airplane mode...

With an iPhone it has to be in sleep mode (not turned off) for the alarm to work

https://itstillworks.com/alarm-still-work-iphone-turned-off-18592.html

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 71

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Alarms won't work on any phone (except the old Nokias) if it's turned off. Alarm sounds override silent, airplane or do not disturb modes on all modern smartphones.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 71

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Aha I stand corrected, thanks for the information @Cleoriff and @MI5 smile thumbsup Mine must have been on silent then instead of turned off.

@welshsteve76 No social apps whatsoever? I sometimes think I might take a break from those for a while however it hasn't happened so far. The pull is strong! tongue Which app do you use for listening to music? slight_smile

Message 25 of 71

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@pgn wrote:
Or changing the number of asterisks in between the u and the e... open_mouth

I did see that and corrected it through edit @pgn but not before you replied. 

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 26 of 71

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

And then, @Glory1, this old buffer was wondering what side of the bread his butter was on, bummer! rofl

Message 27 of 71

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@pgn wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:

And then, @Glory1, this old buffer was wondering what side of the bread his butter was on, bummer! rofl

Mmm....nearly but nowhere near as polite @pgn LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 28 of 71

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:

Oh and almost forgot: the camera! I use it a lot - mostly to take photos of my cats. I have thousands. LOL

I am hoping you mean you have thousands of pictures of your cats, not that you have thousands of cats @Marjo.

Imagine the food bill!

In terms of use, I have removed Facebook but do have Twitter on my phone.

Most used apps are

• Chrome
  • the default music player
  • Waze (navigation app),
  • a podcast app (PodKicker) 
  • the Kindle app
  • an Arsenal blog
  • MX Player
  • YouTube
  • Mi Fit
  • o2 Home
  • Fot Mob
  • Candy Crush
  • LinkedIn
  • Amazon

There are lots of other apps that I use infrequently, but most of those are used at least daily. On top of actually using the phone as a phone!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 29 of 71

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@gmarkj  All football fans gather round and shout... Arsenal? Arsenal? Smiley Very Happy

Not me of course...my favourite team is now languishing in League 2....Pathetic. Evil

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 30 of 71