cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrified customer

Anonymous
Not applicable
This morning I have opened 3 default notices from o2! That would be reasonable if I was a nightmare customer and dodged payments, but I have about 7 different contracts running and am rarely late making a payment. The three notices are regarding payments they tried to take on bank holidays (Christmas Day and 28th Dec - boxing bank holiday) when there was plenty of funds to recover payment in my account however my bank chose not to even show the direct debit on my internet banking. The default notices are dated 3rd January so o2 literally gave it a few working days, without alerting me to the issue, before they ruined my credit score! Thanks for that.. not! I'm trying to apply for a mortgage and this may have ruined it.
Just spoke to someone on the customer service number and I can't even call the right department, I have to email. I've made the payments but am stuck with 3 default notices through no fault of my own and have to waste my time detailing everything again in an email then again with my bank. Not a happy customer, seriously considering taking all my accounts elsewhere. Why could you not just text or send a letter stating my bank did not honour the direct debit before jumping to 3 default notices?!? I had the money to pay and always did! I don't think I ever missed a payment on any of my accounts through the whole of 2015
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the help/address's folks. I will follow it. They aren't going to forget me easily and I will be on it until everything is as it should be. 😤
Message 11 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the help/address's folks. I will follow it. They aren't going to forget me easily and I will be on it until everything is as it should be. 😤

@Anonymous Please listen & follow the expert advice & help by @viridis & @jonsie

Message 12 of 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Curr946 wrote:
Lets be clear. Defaults aren't issued after a payment is 3 days late. So, you might want to check again.

You are incorrect, @viridis has faced this issue so I'd be inclined to believe him

Message 13 of 25

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Maybe so, but its not the correct process.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 14 of 25

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Businesses have the right to declare a payment as late, if it is late even by one day.
The problem arises when the late payment is due to the inability to actually make the payment due to the failing of the businesses payment system, in this case the default should be reported as per the address @jonsie gave along with evidence supporting the fact that indeed O2 were at fault and not the customer.
To clarify.
O2 have the legal right to put the default notice on the account, but also, the customer has the legal right to demand it's removal if the payment failure is due to O2's inadequate payment system and/or method of payment request.
In this case the op is not at fault and should write to credit referrals as @jonsie suggested, with supporting evidence and a covering letter.
Message 15 of 25

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
I think you guys are mixing up late payments with a formal default notice. This should only be issued after several requests for payments have been ignored.

http://moneyaware.co.uk/2011/09/default-notices-what-are-they-and-what-do-they-mean/
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 16 of 25

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Nope, loose area of law.
And I quote from link:
"A default notice is a formal letter which is usually sent after three to six missed payments. They can only be issued for debts that are regulated by the Consumer Credit Act."

Note the word "usually", it's a very variable and not defined time period, the general advice given is that the business should, in the first instance, inform you that your payment is overdue, O2 do this by means of text to the number associated with the account.
But they still can issue a default notice if the fact is, the payment is late.
Message 17 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

O2 was a default on the credit file after one missed payment. Easy to do....getting them to remove it is like the proverbial into the wind. The whole point is not that a default was filed but that it was filed incorrectly by error and legality is not the issue.

Message 18 of 25

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Agree as per said previously
O2's right to default are massively overruled by the fact they put the op in default by not providing or acting on the correct payment facility.
Message 19 of 25

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Without using any legalese here...we have seen it happen to 3 customers who posted on here over the last week or so.... (this takes no account of those in the same situation who have not posted on the forum) Whether O2 are legally  'allowed' to do this or not, is totally irrelevant when we have proof that they are indeed issuing default notices because their payment system is not fit for purpose...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 25