Did you mean: 

Home Assistants

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Digital home assistants have become more and more sophisticated over the past few years, and an increasing number of companies are developping and releasing their own version of the smart devices. They can perform a wide range of tasks, help you with your day to day organisation and the overall control of your house. Their potential keeps on growing!

Do any of you guys use home assistants, such as Google Home or Alexa?

If you do use one, I'd love to know what benefits you find to these digital home assistants, and how you prefer to use them - whether it's through speakers, using the mini version of the device, or through your TV. What kind of things do you use them for, i.e. playing music, setting timers, checking the weather, turning your TV on, etc? What do you think the best, and most fun functions are? 

If you do not use one, is there any particular reason behind this choice? Do you have any reservations, or feedback on what home assistants can or cannot do that is stopping you from getting one?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this! smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I'll try that when I get home.

My carers do most of the home assistance and I'm hoping to train my wife when I get home. Fat chance. ..!

Very good luck with that @jonsie. i don't what your wife would say but I'd tell you what my answer would be, if only the forum filter would allow the word(s) LOLCrazy LOL

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 21 of 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Glory1 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I'll try that when I get home.

My carers do most of the home assistance and I'm hoping to train my wife when I get home. Fat chance. ..!

Very good luck with that @jonsie. i don't what your wife would say but I'd tell you what my answer would be, if only the forum filter would allow the word(s) LOL

Unfortunately I've taught her the words. ...

Message 22 of 25

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I've got both a Google Home Mini and 2 x Echo Dot's at home. One of the Dot's are in my bedroom and the other two are in the living room. Why two? They perform different tasks better than the other, so it's more just for ease, convenience and accuracy.

My Echo Dot in the bedroom is the latest generation, which produces much better music quality than the Google Home Mini (imo, at least)... Great for kick-starting the weekend. That's the main use for that one, and of course turning on/off my bedroom light (Philips Hue).

Google Home Mini is so much better at finding out info and voice searching for stuff and that's my main use for that one.

Usage breakdown estimates:

- 66% turning on/off lights

- 4% giving commands to control my Xbox (good integration with Alexa!)
- 20% music listening

- 10% searching / asking for info

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 23 of 25

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Chris_K wrote:

I've got both a Google Home Mini and 2 x Echo Dot's at home. One of the Dot's are in my bedroom and the other two are in the living room. Why two? They perform different tasks better than the other, so it's more just for ease, convenience and accuracy.

My Echo Dot in the bedroom is the latest generation, which produces much better music quality than the Google Home Mini (imo, at least)... Great for kick-starting the weekend. That's the main use for that one, and of course turning on/off my bedroom light (Philips Hue).

Google Home Mini is so much better at finding out info and voice searching for stuff and that's my main use for that one.

Usage breakdown estimates:

- 66% turning on/off lights

- 4% giving commands to control my Xbox (good integration with Alexa!)
- 20% music listening

- 10% searching / asking for info

How does it control the console? Can it turn it on and off, start games...? I hadn't thought of this! thinking

Message 24 of 25

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

@Marjo wrote:
How does it control the console? Can it turn it on and off, start games...? I hadn't thought of this! thinking

Yep, it does! slight_smile

For anyone interested, you can find the Alexa skill here which also lists all command options.

I have hundreds of games and apps and sometimes takes precious seconds loading up the list, and then scrolling through it to find the right one. Whereas I can just say "Echo, open Call of Duty Black Ops 4 on Xbox" and hey presto, it does it for me.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 25 of 25