Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi all

paddyguy
Level 4: Observant
  • 157 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Only asking if o2 will be doing free streaming as three are doing it would be nice as without using your data wink
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Sheepdog in "3 drives on a vinyl backup" mode 

Are we talking Greece 2000? Which amongst other great things was the second track on the timeless Tranceport CD mixed by Oakie himself.?

ANSWER: Its not a problem: you're supposed to make a backup copy. You do invest in backup devices don't you?

YES, I have a multi terrabyte nas but that's not to backup it's to serve hi res music files , mainly I have vinyl  and ripped flac version of  CDs on the NAS + higher resolution files : 24/192 and ting.

Oh and 11,000 songs on Google play and a thousand or so on Amazon....

Problem is however hi-res the file you upload, you only get a vbr 256 mp3, cos people are prepared to spend a fortune on hi res TV,  but claim not to be able to hear the difference between an MP3 and a hi res FLAC

Which is hardly surprising when they mostly listen to them on telephones....

BTW, this Voxi thing won't last.

Probably not, though not sure how much bandwidth restrictions they can make to a service designed to stream video, they'll probably close it to new signups like talk mobile and migrate them over to Voda in a couple of years. It does illustrate the point regarding operator selected services tho.

NB I really suck at HTML
Message 11 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Glory1 wrote:
@Anonymous, I can't comment on Sky and iTunes but I can for Amazon 

🙂 Yes I have some fairly strong views about Amazon.. See my previous posts on atrocious customer service. The general point is that things ard cyclical and don't last forever . A few year ago Nokia were the world's largest handset supplier.....
Message 12 of 17

paddyguy
Level 4: Observant
  • 157 Posts
  • 26 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok thanks 😉
Message 13 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Glory1 wrote:
@Anonymous, I can't comment on Sky and iTunes but I can for Amazon 

🙂 Yes I have some fairly strong views about Amazon.. See my previous posts on atrocious customer service. The general point is that things ard cyclical and don't last forever . A few year ago Nokia were the world's largest handset supplier.....

Fair comment @Anonymous ... I have always had a Nokia phone = as a tech newbie it was the only name I knew ... currently have the Windows 650lte (was a Nokia phone originally)

Message 14 of 17

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@sheepdog wrote:

Sheepdog in "3 drives on a vinyl backup" mode 

Are we talking Greece 2000? Which amongst other great things was the second track on the timeless Tranceport CD mixed by Oakie himself.?

Glad you got the pun cool Not a fan of mix CD's as I preferred CD singles (I have the original single somewhere and the album!) with multiple remixes though saying that I've been listening to Trance 2000 album today which brings back the glory days of late 90's trance. 

I need re-do all my collection to hi-res from wav as I have a Sony Walkman that does hi-res - mentioned on another thread I really dislike the phone/music interface and with a decent set of earphones and isolation, you can tell the difference between an ok mp3 rip and higher res files. And the added bonus, you can ignore all the PPI and "just answer 3 marketing questions" calls. 

Right back to youtube to some obscure trance tracks at random....

Sheepdog in "hands in the air like I just don't care wave wave wave wave wave wave" mode

Message 15 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Sheepdog in "hands in the air like I just don't care wave wave wave wave wave wave" mode

You crack me up @sheepdog LOLFantasticBouncy

You have a wealth of tech knowledge + can take apart an episode of Strictly Come Dancing + a good sense of wit ... & ... your 'Sheepdog in blank blank blank mode(s) tickle me pink wink

Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

I Need re-do all my collection to hi-res from wav as I have a Sony Walkman that does hi-res - mentioned on another thread

If they are .wav most likely they are 16bit/44.1khz/s (what the wider world recognises as hi-res these days - so you could use EAC (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de) to convert the .wavs and rip your CDs to 16/44.1 flacs at about half the file size and play them on your Walkman @sheepdog

Real hi-res is 24 bit or weirdly 1,2, or 4bit if you are Sony. So in order to understand the difference you need to picture the analog sound wave as a wave in the air. From the orchestra to you at its purest. 

Or a wave vibration on a speaker surface or the rise and fall of a stylus on a record groove (the groove and it's bumps are a physical representation of the sound wave.)  This is why vinyl enthusiasts say the vinyl sound is fuller, there is no sampling involved . Sadly turntables effect the purity of the wave markedly due to defects in the vinyl turntable speed, vibrations and so on. Reel to Reel analog tape (pulp fictionesq) was a lot more reliable just much harder to duplicate

4-bit-linear-PCM.svg.png

So in order to duplicate the wave digitally you have to sample it. The analog signal (in red) when encoded to 4-bit digital sample (in blue) gives a bit depth or word length of 4, so each sample's amplitude is one of 16 possible values. In a 1 bit word length sample there is only one posible position. 2 bit is 2 to the power of 2 so 4 positions.

It goes up in 2n where n is the bit depth . So 2 to the 3 is 8 positions . 2 to the 4 for 16 positions as above.

16 bit is 2 to the 16 or 65,536 positions and 24bit is a whopping 16,777,216.

Then you have to introduce time so take the wave above, you could call that a second, so you have a sample rate of 24 samples a second . All you would hear would be 24 clicks in rapid succession

16/44.1 is sampled at 44,100 hz or 44.1 khz/s or 44,100 times per second. You can now calculate the bit rate (like the mp3's) so 16/44 is a bit rate of (2 for two stereo channels  * 16 bits * 44khz ) 1,408 kb/s compared to a 256 kb/s  for an MP3

Now 24 bit 192 khz are 9,216 kb/s so files are huge even when compressed lossesly as a flac & take up around 2gb per 45 minute album. Music Studios often sample at 24/384 but in general home based hifi can only process up to 192. 

Sony's version of hi res involves 1,2,or 4 bit word length but far higher sampling rates SA CD is 1/2.8Mhz ie 2*1*2,822,400  or 5,644 kb/s though clearly you could double up to stupid eg  8/22.4 or 358,400kbps

Lots of  'pirate' 24/88, 24/96 or 24/192 files are 'hi res' cd rips or worse vinyl rips. (I love vinyl but it's really hard to rip well, see above.)

@sheepdog wrote:

I really dislike the phone/music interface and with a decent set of earphones and isolation, you can tell the difference between an ok mp3 rip and higher res files.

Ok so my Huawei phone can play 24/384  - CPU's even ones in phones, are great at processing digital files but crap at clocking, in fact the clocks in computer & phone  processors are deliberatly jittery in order to prevent signal interference .. clocking is making sure the spaces between the samples are even. The only way I can describe it is when you see a length of flashing lights on a motorway they usually flash in wave cos the clocking of the flash is one second off, one second on- but the waves are usually uneven. Cos the gaps are not exactly 1 second.  So the only way to use a 'puter or phone or even a Walkman to play hi-res with fidelity is to take the signal and re-clock externally before passing it to the digital audio converter (dac) and then the amplifier and speakers.

haaaaave it larggggge  Dublin Serious Heaven. 😇

Message 17 of 17