Did you mean: 

Health apps 🍏

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone,

As I saw that yesterday was World Health Day, I thought it might be interesting to gather your thoughts on health apps. You can find an app for so many things, but here are a few different types of health apps I could think of: 

• Nutrition-related apps: to find recipes, keep track of your intake of some nutrients or foods, etc.
  • Activity-related apps: to count your steps, find workout, track your activity, etc.
  • Mindfulness apps: to help you unwind from busy days, create time to meditate and relax, etc.
  • Other health-aspects: to keep track of your weight, your moods, your sleep, etc.
  • Doctor apps: to consult a qualified medical professional when you are unable to visit your GP.

The NHS lists apps on their website that can help you manage and improve many aspects of your health here, if you'd like to find some more specific examples of apps that the NHS recommends. 

I myself use the Apple Health app, to keep an eye on my daily step count (it encourages me to walk more), an app linked to my weighting scale that gives me a breakdown of what my weight is made of (I can see if I'm gaining fat/muscle/water), and an app that helps the beginner runner in me become better (it tracks my runs, and gives me a personalised set of training sessions every week matching my capabilities).

Do you guys use any health apps? Is there an app you'd find useful to manage and improve your health, but cannot find yet? 🍀

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

I use a few health apps. I’ve an Apple Watch so use all the ones built in there so activity tracking, heart rate monitoring and the new ECG app that landed a week or so ago

I’ve also got the beddit sleep monitor that Apple sell so I’ve the companion app for that to see how well (or more often terribly) I’m sleeping

Message 2 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for sharing, @davethorp slight_smile

I don't have a smart watch but for some reason I thought they could track a person's sleeping pattern, so cheers for teaching me something today! Have you found the Beddit sleep monitor insightful? Does it include recommendations based on your results, or is it raw data that you can take to your GP or look into using yourself to improve your sleep?

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 8

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

A lot of smart watches can and the Apple Watch can too with 3rd party apps which I’ve used in the past. The issue you have is battery life if you start wearing it overnight and most nights my watch is on a stand charging up ready for the next day

The beddit is just a strip which goes under your sheet and plugs into a USB plug and connects to the phone by Bluetooth. As well as tracking how much you sleep it also monitors heart and breathing rate overnight and can use the phone’s microphone to monitor snoring. It also tracks the room temperature and humidity

There’s some recommendations and you get notifications to encourage you to go to bed by a certain time and reporting how much sleep you got in relation to targets. Examples below:

26FA9EF8-A4C7-490E-98B5-9D07117C7733.jpeg

Message 4 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Oh I love that, it records so much data than I would have imagined as well! Thanks for adding the screenshot, these notifications are really nice and encouraging. Have you found that you've slept a bit more consistently, or have made more conscious efforts to improve your sleeping pattern since you've started using Beddit?

The running app I've started using also sends me very encouraging reminders to do the trainings, and suggestions on when next to go out depending on the forecast. I'm a beginner so it's been nice to have nudges and what feels like a very personalised experience so far. 

signature

Message 5 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT 

I haven't got any apps but I am a good sleeper ~

I always (and must or grumpy) have 8 hours no problem.

I eat a big variety of food mostly home cooked always

have done. Even when working 7 days a week long days ~ always 

walked morn. noon & eve every day ~ always cooked as you know Chinese! 

or slow cooker ~ 

Love food love life yahoo

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 8

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

It sounds like you have it all under control @TallTreeshuggingsunflower

Speaking of cooking (I know indeed that you love to cook as much as I do, if not more), there are a lot of apps that provide recipes. Although I have my own go-to recipes and books at home I like to browse websites and apps sometimes. Have you ever used any, or is it not something you're too interested in?

signature

Message 7 of 8

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10672 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hope I do have it under control @EmilieT 

I have never put an app on my phone of any kind.

I have lots of cook books and when I talk to people

they mention receipes. Better still when a neighbour

brings in her fav cake receipe!  made for me to taste ~ heart

Because I like caribbean food I listen to Ainsley's Caribbean Kitchen and re-runs of these

I get on my Computer, then adapt it sometimes to what I have in the larder etc.

I adore Chinese food.

I have Indian friends too ~ who introduce me to new things ~ I am not able to make

this but when my Indian Friend made it I sort of went into a tranceLOL

It is called a *Dosa a sort of pancake filled with potato dreamy wonderful 

She is from Southern India Tamil Nadu  vegetarian only ~ use lots of coconuts ~ lentils ~ Yoghurt ~

with lots of chillies ~ Spinach ~ all vegetables ~ Tomatoes and Basmati Rice  ~ Coriander herb heart

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 8 of 8