Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headphones & in-ear headphones

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I was wondering what others used on their mobile telephone or indeed portable music player. For a while, I was using Sennheiser CX300 ear buds, then replaced them with CX880i which offered better sound however I tired of them.

To save a bit of money, I purchased a cheap pair of Sony headphones from every blue aliens favourite catalogue store. So recently I decided to go for a new pair of Shure In-ear headphones. The quality for the price is quite remarkable, as I can hear a lot detail although getting used to the fit can be awkward. At the moment I'm on a PC using a headphone amp to listen to music to audition them and warm up the drivers. Little Boots - Remedy sounds very clean, the separation between vocals and synthesizers is obvious even at lower volumes.

Before that my other options were AKG, Sennheiser or Grado SR60i although they may be a bit harder to drive on my smartphone. Anyway I tried to keep this jargon-free as possible.

What are your favourite headphones/in-ear phones? 

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I'm sure there are plenty about on market stalls @Anonymous?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh.. can you imagine The Clampets using earphones and then trading them in.. Who knows what you'd catch! 

Weird dilemma.. why can't ears all be the same?

Message 22 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh.. can you imagine The Clampets using earphones and then trading them in.. Who knows what you'd catch! 

Weird dilemma.. why can't ears all be the same?

I wasn't talking about 2nd hand headphones FGS...Market stalls sell new ones...joy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
But you can't try them on there either! Ffs 🤨
Message 24 of 26

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

@Anonymous You could replace the ear bud part with a better quality to make it fit especially with the IEM type (the ones you stick in the ear canal). Once you discover that then makes a big difference with sound isolation and comfort to any IEM. I have some Comply tips and found they are relatively long lasting though I did try some Kinden brand from ebay but discovered they tore easily though good value. There's also Spinfits but I found the silicone irritated me so stuck to memory foam. 

I would recommend a brand I have but sadly they no longer exist which is a shame as they used swappable filters depending on what type of listening you're into. My personal preference is the over/round the ear type of IEM as in the reverse of the usual type and one you see musicians use on stage. Big plus is that the cables don't get in the way when you move your head. 

Message 25 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all above. Sorry not to reply sooner. I've been 'gadding about' today

I bought JBL T290 ear phones from the O2 shop in Skipton. I just get bamboozled @Cleoriff when looking on Ebay & Amazon. Before, cheap ear phones just fell out ... these, however, have 3 sizes of bud. I tried to fit on the smallest size & couldn't so went  back to the O2 shop where long time manager Stavros fitted them. 

@sheepdog I like the look of the Comply Tips you mention. Memory foam seems a good idea

I wear spectacles & am happy with what I've bought. The Comply Tips site / my laptop have been 'playing up' so will look into buying the comfort type again tomorrow

Oh, did I say the metal ends are pearlised pink yay! *pumps fist in air* LOL

Message 26 of 26