Did you mean: 

Have you been subject to a mobile scam? I am collecting evidence

Rebecca1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all,

I've recently been subject to a scam whereby a company called UME Ltd claims I opted in for a subscription service charging me £4.50 a week for access to apps and videos. There is no way I would have knowingly opted in for this. I have cancelled the subscription and O2 have blocked the service. I consider myself pretty tech savy normally and I am upset I fell for this.

Although it's an inconvenience for me, it is extremely worrying for other more vulnerable people who could so easily fall prey to such a scam. If, like me, they are on pay monthly and pay by direct debit, they may not check their bill monthly (I always log in, but don't always read the small print).

I am collating evidence as I work in media and intend to go to the press about this issue - I am worried that there are many other companies such as this one basically stealing people's money, and using O2 as the vessel for doing this.

I understand it's not O2's fault but do strongly believe as a mobile provider they should be doing more to spot and falg such services so that poeple don't fall prey. Even if they had a red flagf system at the top of the mobile bill to let everyone who has joined a subscription know.

If you have been subject to such as scam, I would be really interested to hear from you as I would like to try and gather some data around how many people are affected.

Thanks

Rebecca

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Good morning Rebecca

There are 100s of threads on here about people being charged by companies they've never heard of for games and other items they didn't order.

We on the community forum provide the following assistance

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

In addition the following link also provides useful information and collates data on the many scams out there

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

Personally I have not been scammed. But I am very careful what I click on and delete any suspicious emails, texts and don't answer calls from numbers I don't know.

Anyway, I hope the above information proves of use and wish you the best of luck in what you're trying to do.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144185 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You would also be advised to check the process at EE.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Rebecca1
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply and the information - it seems this is a really worrying trend and happens far too often.

I am trying to figure out how to stop the companies from doing it.

Message 4 of 6

Rebecca1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I am considering changing company as I understand they have a much more robust policy around this
Message 5 of 6

Scammers
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Dear Rebecca,

I have been scammed in the same way by the following:
- My Media Games
- Taptronic/fitguru
- Net Real Solutions

I did not 'mistakenly' click onto something I shouldn't have. The subscription is done by stealth and you only know about it when you get a text.

I have been chasing up My Media Games by email and they will not tell me what I am supposed to have seen on my screen to take me through the process. MMG also refuse to refund my money even when I sent them a link to Breast Cancer Care to pay it as I had barred all third party billings and incursions onto my telephone account. My Media games have even harassed me by sending me further billing texts which were not charging me, probably because I have deluged them with complaints.

O2 has refunded me, but they should then charge the scammers their money back. The scammers know the phone providers are not chasing them.

The advice and information given to you already is excellent, especially the 'payforitsucks' website.

Reading your email you are on the same page as me. I have evidence for you if you need it. Ialso have a thread about 'unsolicited bills', about the very same thing and you will find a few other threads on the O2 Community better than mine. Check the Giff Gaff, Vodaphone and other phone communities and you will find similar evidence. I see you are in the media so apologies if you are already doing this.

I was so annoyed by the appalling response by MMG I started a petition on Change.org:

https://chn.ge/2M6Iawi

Regards Barry
Message 6 of 6