cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HMD unveil new Nokia devices but no 5G support

Anonymous
Not applicable

http://new.whatmobile.net/ifa-2019-hmd-global-announces-five-new-nokia-phones/

I know we have a Samsung Fanboy and a Sony Fanboy, having owned an HMD Nokia 5 for the past 17 months I am quite happy to declare myself a Nokia Fanboy!

I am currently holding off upgrading as I want to see what they release for use on 5G, the 6.2 looks to be in my price range but unfortunately the Snapdragon chipset they have selected, the SDM636 doesn't support 5G.

The phones do look nice though.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
I'm sure most manufacturers will keep putting out 4G phones for the foreseeable future. The rollout for 5G will not be quick and will probably take years to reach all areas.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 6

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The way I view things are that I'm no fan boy.

Nokia (HMD) are good mobiles once you go more up market.

Sony Xperia X1 with it's 4K display and 21:9 (2.3:1) aspect ratio makes it a long but narrow handset. Good camera support and quality colour reproduction.

Samsung are all about marketting to a point and I feel the hardware features alone don't always justify the price. Although as long they maintain their value and don't depreciate in value after sales. You can't complain.

Apple are basically their own cult and show no rationale when it comes to value however they hold their price for much longer. iOS aside and no 5G support (not even hardware support through a firmware patch) makes it less appealing to me.

Huawei despite the revocation of Google "support" in future devices does mean you will eventually have 3 operating systems to choose from besides any legacy systems in use.

5G is not so widespread at the moment and even 4G can be patchy depending on where you are, so it's not a big deal to me. Besides the faster bandwidth and higher tariffs initially, it will always take a while before people adopt the newer technology.

In a way, it's like using a turbo sports car to travel to work on normal city/town roadway; you can't really exploit the full power as yet.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

The reason I switched from Samsung was I got fed up with waiting for them to push out security patches (the J series only got quarterly updates) and although I didn't sideload and rarely carried out sensitive activities like banking there were some occasions when I needed to so would rather have the device patched but didn't want to shell out on a Pixel.

To HMD's credit they have delivered the monthly patches and 3 OS updates (7 was loaded when I received it and was offered an instant upgrade to 8, then in a couple of months 8.1.0 and 9 in January with a couple of tweaks after)

Message 4 of 6

sheepdog
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Strange state of affairs when the retro phones are more interesting than any of the mono-slabs being released by any company. The flip phone looks fun but I'm hoping they'll release the update version of the  6110 at some point. 

Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheepdog wrote:

Strange state of affairs when the retro phones are more interesting than any of the mono-slabs being released by any company. The flip phone looks fun but I'm hoping they'll release the update version of the  6110 at some point. 

@sheepdog 

Was that your favourite old Nokia then?

Would be interested in seeing a new spin on the 6310i or my personal favourite it's replacement the 6230i which I had but had to ditch when I switched to O2 as the service provider I was leaving gave me the wrong unlock code and as I thought I was putting it in wrong I tried it a number of times and so it permanently locked itself to the service provider which annoyed me as I thought that phone was superb.

Message 6 of 6