Did you mean: 

Guide Updates

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

GUIDE UPDATES

Recent discussions HERE about locking guides a week or so after they were posted, resulted in an agreement to have a section where all of us could ask for a guide to be updated if we felt it necessary.

So I'll start it off.

The first guide which needs an update is this one

Guide: Sim Swap: a mini guide 2017 update 

If you check it out it says....

•  "New devices come with 3 sims so you can choose the size which fits your phone"(I don't think they do? I thought one sim was sent and you pushed out the size you needed OR the correct sim for the phone was sent out with your device? (Confirmation please?)
  •  Is the sim blank or does it have a temporary number attached? (Nothing is mentioned in the guide)
  • Finally the question we are always being asked is, do I do the swap from my old sim or the new one? It may be obvious to us, but not everyone knows. 

Those are the things I think need changing or added to the Sim Swap Guide. Any more suggestions would be welcomed.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Great idea, and mentioning the new sim being sent out when you upgrade is definitely worth including.
How many questions are there about do I use my new sim or my old one, and the new one not working?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 2 of 46

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Yes, the part about a new sim being sent out when you upgrade (even though you can continue using the old one, if it fits the new phone) should be included @gmarkj 

Maybe even a section about activating the new sim?

Thanks. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 46

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
+1 for activating a new sim!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 4 of 46

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Nice one @Cleoriff thanks for starting this topic. I've pinned this to the top of the board so it's easily found. thumbsup

Good suggestions for the SIM swap guide- we can get that updated soon. Keep them coming if you can think of any other improvements/updates guys. slight_smile

Message 5 of 46

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hey @Cleoriff , @gmarkj and everyone, took me a while sorry for the delay, but I got some information that we could add into the SIM swap guide based on your ideas above. slight_smile I'll paste below:

New devices come with 3 sims so you can choose the size which fits your phone

A SIM card is sent with the 3 size option: Standard, Micro and Nano SIM. You just need to break out what size you require. It is detailed on the card what area you need to break out for what size. A recommendation is to do it carefully as breaking out the Nano when a Mirco SIM is needed will require a whole new SIM to be sent.

Is the sim blank or does it have a temporary number attached? 

There is no number attached to a replacement Pay Monthly SIM card, it is blank.

Finally the question we are always being asked is, do I do the swap from my old sim or the new one? 

If texting 'Swap' to 20220 to activate the SIM this needs to be sent from the old SIM only, the new SIM won’t be active to enable this.

SIM swaps can now also be actioned via your My O2 app. You’ll find an option under ‘Manage your account’ of ‘Swap your SIM’. You’ll need to re-enter your My O2 username and password, you’ll then be sent a verification code via text to your phone. Once this has been confirmed you can enter your new SIM info and this will be swapped within 24hrs.

As mentioned above you can also text ‘Swap’ to 20220 to activate it.

If you don’t have an active SIM to do either of the above to you’ll need to call customer services to activate it. Please be aware they can only activate SIMs that have been ordered off your account for security reasons.

Message 6 of 46

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

That sounds excellent @Marjo thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 46

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

FYI guys, the SIM swap guide has been updated. slight_smile

Message 8 of 46

Cleoriff
  • 122347 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marjo 

Changes look good, though I have mentioned on the thread that sometimes there is no need to sim swap if the old sim fits the new phone. We advise this frequently.

Edited to add: Pleased to see the '2017' part has been removed. This makes it more current. thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 46

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Marjo 

Changes look good, though I have mentioned on the thread that sometimes there is no need to sim swap if the old sim fits the new phone. We advise this frequently.

Edited to add: Pleased to see the '2017' part has been removed. This makes it more current. thumbsup

Makes sense! I can add that in. slight_smile

Message 10 of 46