Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google launches Photos alternative called Gallery Go

TheGreyApe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 56 Posts
  • 21 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Google launched the latest Go app - Gallery Go. After Google Go, Maps Go and YouTube Go, the company is now trying to get photo sync and management functions in a lighter and less data-hungry version. Gallery Go comes in at just 10MB which is a fraction of the 130MB size of the Google Photos app.

Gallery Go interfaceGallery Go interfaceGallery Go interface

The new app features all the standard features of the traditional Photos app like auto-organization, photo finder and easy editing across multiple devices. It features a clean user interface with separate category tabs for screenshots, documents and videos as well as content-based groupings. Like Google Photos, images are synced and displayed in chronological order.

What's your thoughts on this?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Thanks for sharing @TheGreyApe. I knew nothing about this and have just downloaded the app. Seems to offer the same as the full Gallery with added features. Seems a better app all round and doesn't use as much data.

Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have known about this otherwise. Good pick thumbsup

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 12

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well, I've gone back to the full Gallery app @TheGreyApe.  One downside of the Gallery Go app is you can't delete anything from photos, you need the full Gallery app for that. And as I needed to delete some photos I've reverted back to the full Gallery app. Gallery Go is okay but until it allows you to delete photos from the Photos app I won't be using it 

Nice idea though 

Message 3 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There's a few disadvantages with limited editing availability. You can't even rename a folder as well as the delete option. Not for me, tried it and didn't like it.

Message 4 of 12

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

So that makes 2 of us @jonsie.

Message 5 of 12

TheGreyApe
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 56 Posts
  • 21 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Glory1 @jonsie Thanks for the update!

Message 6 of 12

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35222 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Shall investigate - but I still think retiring Picasa all those moons ago was a bad move... Chromebook users lost that day.

https://picasa.google.co.uk/
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

We always used Picasa. No idea why it was retired. Transferring photos from phone to phone and PC to PC was pretty seamless.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
To be honest I have always just used the main Photos app - does everything I want/need it to, the most important thing being to back up photos and videos.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 12

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 10 of 12