cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good internet phone for the Army! Iphone.. ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm hoping to be starting basic training in a couple of months or so, and I've been looking at buying an iphone.

I was going to buy an ipod too, then I thought why not just get a decent phone with ipod in it. The main thing I'd want though is good internet. I figure having a good internet connection allows me to surf the web at the end of the days, just to chill out and get away from training for a while, keep in touch with friends via msn and facebook and to keep up to date with whats going on in the world.

So a good, enjoyable internet experience is the main thing I'm looking for, followed by MP3 player, then texting and ringing.

Would you recommend the iphone? I'm not too knowledgeable on phones and particularly wifi. Will I always have a strong internet connection with the iphone at my training base? I've been reading up about wifi hotspots and stuff...?

..please enlighten me!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you thinking of PAYG or Contract.

The reason I mention this is that O2 do not automatically suspend contracts for troops serving abroad. They do this on a case by case basis. Although you are going for basic training you have to think 18 months ahead.
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you thinking of PAYG or Contract.
The reason I mention this is that O2 do not automatically suspend contracts for troops serving abroad. They do this on a case by case basis. Although you are going for basic training you have to think 18 months ahead.

Hmm.. I was thinking of contract but didn't really think about that. I suppose it would be a waste of money if I was to be paying for half of my contract when I can't even use the phone. But then 35 quid a month wouldn't be the end of the world.
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it's a phone with excellent internet access you're after you pretty much can't do better than the iphone, dead easy to use and a nice big screen. And of course you get the ipod style mp3 player.
As a phone though it's pretty pants. No MMS and limited bluetooth.

I'd be careful about getting into an 18 month contract though, although it's true that o2 can suspend your contract while you're posted abroad it's only if you're going to a theatre of war i.e: Iraq/Afghanistan and a confirmation from your group commander, or whatever it's called, is required.

What you might want to consider is buying the iphone on pre pay at £342.33 put in an online simplicity 20 sim with unlimited net (which you can cancel/change to pay and go at any time) at £19.57 per month, over 18 months = £694.67 in total which is cheaper than an iphone on the 35 contract which would be 34.36 x 18 = £713.57 the only differace is that you won't have the unlimited wifi, but most people probably wouldn't bother with that anyway.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sheepdog, read what I posted again.

I didn't say you 'need' to get a simplicity sim for the pay and go iphone.

I was letting paraboi know that he could buy his iphone outright then put a simplicity sim into it to get all the benefits of a contract i.e: lots of minutes/texts with none of the lenghty commitment and potentially make a small saving over going down the normal 18 month contract route.
Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
When (not if, you will) you go into theater you WILL NOT be allowed to take your mobile. So a built in MP3 player will be useless. Also for on scheme etc. the iPhone is not tough enough, the screen scratches too easily and you won't be near a charger for days on end so the battery will go flat.

Also in common with handsets from all other networks it is SIM locked so you can't put a local SIM in for cheap calls when your overseas, most other O2 handsets come unlocked.

As for the iPhone users screaming how good the Internet is on it then try Opera Mobile on a Touch HD or similar before you think it is good on the iPhone.

Also consider before getting an iPhone you can not increase the memory size or remove the battery, it uses a non-common charging connector so you can't just borrow your mates (unless he has an iPhone too) and applications must be obtained through the iStore allowing Apple to control what you can buy. Which is why you can not get the Opera Web browser, Apple are so scared of it they won't allow it.

I would strongly suggest you buy a basic rugged phone and also get a decent iPod/MP3 player thats batteries will last for much longer in field conditions.
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sheepdog, why is it you seem to be dead against the fact that I would even have suggested he puts simplicity in an iphone, it's a perfectly viable OPTION, I never said he HAD to do it.
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm... thanks for the advice guys. It's a toughie.

I have a bog standard, crappy phone now and that does me fine in terms of texting and ringing. I can always buy an ipod separate from a phone. So the main thing really is internet access. I just want to be able to have a quick, easy, convenient source of internet that I can go on every now and then just to keep up to date with the outside world, to help feel less secluded from it during training.

To be honest I'm not considering the fact that I could go overseas half-way through a contract, I'm not even thinking that far ahead. So going into a long contract isn't a major issue.
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm... thanks for the advice guys. It's a toughie.
I have a bog standard, crappy phone now and that does me fine in terms of texting and ringing. I can always buy an ipod separate from a phone. So the main thing really is internet access. I just want to be able to have a quick, easy, convenient source of internet that I can go on every now and then just to keep up to date with the outside world, to help feel less secluded from it during training.
To be honest I'm not considering the fact that I could go overseas half-way through a contract, I'm not even thinking that far ahead. So going into a long contract isn't a major issue.

I'd say go for a phone that has a good camera. Since my brother has been in the Army he's been taking picture non stop. He's got one of these google phone things. From my experience phone signal seems to be pretty crappy at Army barracks! lol!

Good luck with your training! You'll love it!

Cara
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
im going in the army 2 and im jus gunna buy my self a laptop or note book internet access shouldnt be a problem that way!!!!!!!! wb
Message 10 of 10