Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game now unlocking handsets

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

No longer just dodgy market stalls it seems.... 

Unlock your phone at GAME!
Can’t see any images? View web based version

GAMEDownload Our App!
PS4Xbox OnePS3Xbox 360Wii U3DSPC
DealsOnly at GAMEComing SoonPreownedTrade-InGAME Junior
Unlock your phone from £9.99! Come and speak to the store team for details. Find your store
Unlock your phone from £9.99! Come and speak to the store team for details. Find your store
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Or get it from o2 on the refresh deal...then run along to Game and get it unlocked. If that works of course....Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 18

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It'll work.
They can't really afford to screw up a load of iPhones.
Message 12 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

I think the people it will help most are iPhone users who seem to have major problems getting their new phones unlocked (from O2 anyway)

The simple moral is don't buy them from Carphone Warehouse  wink

I can understand why people fall into that trap though, as CPW will usually undercut Apple. But then you're buying yourself a whole lot of trouble for later on  Smiley Frustrated

The warning notice is still on their sales page (at the very bottom).

iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 13 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
It'll work.
They can't really afford to screw up a load of iPhones.

I meant I wondered whether Game would put a disclaimer in to say they wont touch those iPhones?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's why I always buy mine from the Apple Store wink
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The simple moral is don't buy them from Carphone Warehouse  wink

I can understand why people fall into that trap though, as CPW will usually undercut Apple. But then you're buying yourself a whole lot of trouble for later on  Smiley Frustrated

The warning notice is still on their sales page (at the very bottom).

iPhone will lock itself to the network of the first SIM card that is used in the phone. Subsequently attempting to use it on any other network, for example by replacing the SIM card, may mean it becomes permanently unusable. SIM free iPhones can only be used with a UK-network SIM card, and will not accept foreign SIM cards.

One would hope that point is made clear by staff in their high street stores, but sales advisors don't always give the best advice. It's interesting to read that they won't accept foreign sims (for me that's another reason not to buy from them). But putting this issue into perspective, most of CPW's customers are probably quite happy to buy an iPhone on that basis. I prefer to buy unlocked handsets because I like the freedom to change networks whenever I want, and also because they tend to attract a higher price if you decide to sell them.

One thing that I have noticed on other forums, is sometimes people aren't always clear on how they've "bought" their iPhone, with many believing that paying an upfront cost qualifies as a purchase, when in reality they've simply entered into a contract. But you can only take people's comments at face value, and it's often difficult to advise them on the best course of action, particularly as we're not sure whether O2 are unlocking handsets in these situations because they're legally obliged to, or whether there's an element of goodwill involved in the resolution.

Message 16 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing that I have noticed on other forums, is sometimes people aren't always clear on how they've "bought" their iPhone, with many believing that paying an upfront cost qualifies as a purchase, when in reality they've simply entered into a contract. But you can only take people's comments at face value, and it's often difficult to advise them on the best course of action, particularly as we're not sure whether O2 are unlocking handsets in these situations because they're legally obliged to, or whether there's an element of goodwill involved in the resolution.

Good point, we can only go on what we're told and the position of O2 is not clear.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 17 of 18

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
Yes under the terms of my contract I still don't officially own my phone. Besides it is not locked to any network.
Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 18 of 18