cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPRS/EDGE/HSDPA?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Has anyone else had trouble with poor data coverage from O2?

I live in Reading, an area which according to the coverage map is completely HSDPA covered, including where I live, the town centre, the entire town.
http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/map.asp

My Windows Mobile handset, similar to an XDA device, is compatible with most types of data connection: CSD, HSCSD, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS and HSDPA.

However no matter where I go, the most I can ever get is EDGE, and only in a very small area of the town centre. Everywhere else, including at my house, I only get GPRS.

Why am I not able to get a 3G connection using my phone, such as HSDPA?

Is this because of a connection error in my phone OR because of a problem with O2 network coverage in Reading?

Any help would be great,
thanks,
DW
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Check your SIM Card

If it starts:

8944110063 it's 2G and you need a 3G.

8944110064 it's 3G, and shouldnt have a problem
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks, turns out it's only a 2G Sim Card. I will have to get it replaced, hopefully that is not too difficult.

Thanks for the help,
DW
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's not. Call customer care tommorow, and they'll send one. Or you can go to an O2 store and get one FOC.

Just give CCare a call to activate 🐵
Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

If it starts:
8944110063 it's 2G and you need a 3G.

No mine starts 8944110063 and is a 3G SIM. I get full HSDPA where I work and live.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You must have had the first batch of 3G.

You can also tell after the number e.g:

8944110063xxxxxx3GD
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You must have had the first batch of 3G.

Haha. 3G has been out for 5 years mate. Thats how long I've been using it.
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm sure mine must be 2G, not sure how old the Sim Card is, though I thought less than 4 years as I got it with my XDA 2i when I started Uni. But that not being a 3G handset I guess it didn't matter to them what type of Sim Card they put in it.

Have already emailed customer services, and they have put a new 3G Sim Card in the post to me today, so should have it all sorted soon slight_smile

Thanks,
DW
Message 8 of 8