cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud email

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have received an email with the sender as "O2 UK". The email is about an EU law is changed so that O2 is due to refund us some money, than it asked you click here and take you to an login page where you need to input your "username" and "password".

DON'T DO IT.....

I have reported this to O2 now..

However, what concern me is that how can they get hold of my personal details and price plan and the eact amount I am paying....

Really concern me with the whole O2 security...

Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

See......told you !!

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 21 of 50

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

I've been otherwise engaged. ...so still no meaningful statement from O2?

I think there's more chance of seeing a video of Kim Jong-un singing Gangnam Style. 

Always, and I mean always, be careful what you wish for....

http://youtu.be/_cG7ZVBXQII

And there you have it....LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 50

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

As an FYI, a phishing alert article on 'The Blue' has been updated with more information on this issue:

http://news.o2.co.uk/2014/05/29/phishing-alert-may-2014/

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 23 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
This update is, as expected, rather basic and does little to explain how so much personal data has been released.

As I have asked before, how would malware pick up someone's phone serial number or PUK number, neither of which you would ever need to type into your computer keyboard.

Sorry but I don't buy this explanation. It needs a thorough investigation by the ICO
Message 24 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok ladies and gents I have now had a reply from Senior Management at O2 regarding these phishing emails and their response (in my words as it was a telephone call) is as follows:

1. The advice from Community Management is not correct. O2 Senior Management have confirmed that they DO want phishing emails sent to them, even if they are already aware of the issue.

2. Where emails are purported to include the PUK number, have the recipient's checked that they PUK is actually the right one for their account? (It may be that the scammers are blagging it).

3. Re the serial number of the phone, same as number 2 above.

If these details are CORRECT in relation to the customer account then these need to be flagged to the phishing email address o2 have phishing@o2.co.uk

O2 are confident that the data has not been leaked from their own systems (I know we will all say "well they would say that wouldn't they? ) but never the less they were clear.

I asked why o2 were silent on the matter. The response was that there are many phishing scams and they can't possibly be expected to contact customers every single time a phishing email is sent.

I have suggested that perhaps every 6 or 12 months or so when they send us billing emails perhaps they could include information about phishing and other scams. O2 Senior Management plan to take the idea forward to the Fraud Team for consideration.
Message 25 of 50

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You've been fobbed off too mate......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
No, I think the questions were fair. Once answered when I speak to him again a week on Monday (my choice of date due to other questions) then I may be able to answer that.
Message 27 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just received one of these emails pretending to be from Vodafone, so it's not just o2 customers now. They knew my DOB but not sure about the number they provided as I've changed my number.
Message 28 of 50

MI5
  • 144204 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You're the second person we've heard of to have an email "from" Vodafone.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 29 of 50

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does that change things in terms of perception of where this data is being stolen from?
Message 30 of 50