First Impressions of the Microsoft Lumia 950

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions

First Impressions of the Microsoft Lumia 950

Unboxing

The 950 came in a white thin square box with a slide out tray, very much like the rest of the Lumia range.  After pulling the security tab and sliding the out the tray, the 950 sits proudly on display within its packaging.  Not much else is bundled, a small quick start guide, charger and a data cable.

Design & Feel

Picking up the 950 for the first time didn’t scream high end, unlike its predecessor the 930. However, it does feel very well built. The phone is made from quality plastics and has gorilla glass 3, the back is removable allowing access to the battery, sim and memory card slots. If I am honest, the design reminds me of the lower end handsets such as the 640, but with stronger plastics and a dedicated camera button.

Set Up

Having had many windows phones, I have seen the restore feature improve over the years, but the 950 has been my best experience so far. When you first power on the 950 you are asked to choose your country etc. You can then select your WiFi network, or skip and continue the set up. I highly recommend you connect to WiFi at this stage. You are then asked to sign into your Microsoft account, but don’t worry if you don’t have one as there is an option to create one.

Having signed into my account, the 950 asks me if I would like to restore my data from a previous handset. After choosing the restore file (I’ve a few), the 950 proceeds to install all my apps, saved game data, live titles, ringtones, photos the lot. Honestly, after about 30 minuets the 950 was set up exactly the same as my 930 without any intervention from me.  OK, there were a few apps that asked me to sign in again, Facebook, eBay and twitter but this took next to no time to fix.

Software

So there are many new features on the 950 that I’ve not yet been able to try, such as the iris scanner and continuum. However, I was disappointed to learn that the OS version shipped on the 950 was not the latest build. Now to be fair, the only reason I noticed this is because I my 930 is on the latest build via the insider programme, and some of the menus are slightly different. That aside, the build was “feature rich”, by that I mean nothing was missing.

Using the 950 is not much different from using the 930, in fact, once all Lumia’s are on the same build, using any of them won’t be much different. That’s the great thing about windows phone, you get the same core experience across all devices. Ok, a some apps and games won’t be available, or will  run slow on lower end devices but hey, you get what you pay for.

I’m not going to get into the pro’s and con’s of each OS, we know the age old “App Gap” argument. But for me, all the ones I need are there. And with the new universal app store shared over pc, table, phone and xbox, will hopefully attract new developers who will see the potential.

Screen

Well, I can sum this up with one word... Sharp! I could post the specs, and the dots per inch, but I’m not going to. If you found this thread, your able to find the 950 specs. PS, Bing is better tongue

Summery

The 950 is the baby brother of the 950XL, the Daddy of windows phone to date. It’s not the best looking phone on the market, it’s not the highest spec phone either. However, if you are an existing windows phone user, or use lots of Microsoft services, then you wont be disappointed. If you can live with a BIG phone, go for the XL. If however your heavily invested in Android, or IOS don’t expect to find all the apps your used to. 

If you have a 925 or the 930 and are looking to take advantage of the new features, such as continuum, I would say go for it. Otherwise, there is not much of a difference. This could all change as more demanding apps launch, but if you can resist the lure of a new shinny phone maybe wait to see what Microsoft has planned with the surface phone late next year. That’s not to say I regret my purchase, far from it. As a big WinPhan, I’ll continue to get the latest and greatest just like the FanbIOS and the Droids.

PS. The 950 uses a USB C charger. So if like me, you have chargers all over the place, your going to need to invest in new ones. Any Qi chargers you have will continue to work with the 950.

Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The backup and restore feature of WP has got to be the best of any of the systems, but I think MS need to look at making all their phone range a bit more premium...
Seems to have gone backwards from where Nokia were?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 14

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Absolutely @MI5. The 950 doesn't feel cheap, but its lacking that umf the 930 offers when you hold it.
Message 3 of 14

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Curr946 I am always fascinated to read reviews on new phones, though for me I am just as interested in knowing why people choose a particular os. Not wanting to turn this into an android v ios v Windows debate...just asking why you prefer Windows? Are they good for business usage? What are the advantages or disadvantages? (From your perspective obviously) slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

Curr946
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Well, It all started back in the 00s with an Orange SPV. It was terrible lol. But since then I've had many feature phones, a few android and IOS phones / tablets but I couldn't resist the mobile office, onedrive integration and xbox live games. I know that office etc is now finding its way over to other handsets but I guess I just have a soft spot for the underdog grin
Message 6 of 14

Pureview
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

My reason for using Windows as an OS started by Nokia making decent camera phones and my first was the N80 followed by N95 8GB, N8 all on Symbian. My first Windows mobile was the 1020 with it's awsome camera, not so awsome though until a few tweeks. I got to like the layout of the OS and it does most of the stuff I need, though the odd app is missing like the useful one for my Nikon P600 that allows me to share its images. The OS is more up to date than IOS and less cluttered than Android in my opinion but both also have desirable features. My main draw is still the camera with a dedicated shutter, probably still the best camera in the business and the Lumia Camera app is to me very decent. The 950 drew me in for it's removable battery and expanable memory also.

Message 7 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for those responses @Pureview and @Curr946. Always good to get a better understanding slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a play with one at my local O2 shop on the weekend. I was impressed with the quality of the display, and the OS seemed very slick to use. I've read a few reviews criticising the build quality, but it feels comfortable and durable enough.

Mind you, I can't believe how expensive it is from O2 Smiley Surprised. At £519 for an O2 PAYG handset, it's £70 dearer than buying direct from Microsoft, and £100 dearer than CPW, Amazon, or John Lewis. 

Message 9 of 14

Pureview
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 30 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a play with one at my local O2 shop on the weekend. I was impressed with the quality of the display, and the OS seemed very slick to use. I've read a few reviews criticising the build quality, but it feels comfortable and durable enough.

Mind you, I can't believe how expensive it is from O2 Smiley Surprised. At £519 for an O2 PAYG handset, it's £70 dearer than buying direct from Microsoft, and £100 dearer than CPW, Amazon, or John Lewis. 

Can't understand the negative comments on build quality as the removable battery comes at the cost of a removable back plate, which is a hark back to the past for the better. The design is a bit staid, though with a new back cover, ie from Mozo will sharpen it up. All WP needs is a few developers to jump on board and it will fly. Too much snobbery on behalf of reviewers does not help as with a few updates the 950 should be just great. Bring on Surface Phone with the 41mp sensor!

Message 10 of 14