cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Femtocell coming to O2?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone know anything about Femtocell becoming available to O2?

I just checked the 'future network coverage' map on the O2 web-site for our area, and it shows that we are to get 'Standard' coverage in the future. Fab, I thought, at last I won't have to place my phone in a specific spot in our bedroom to get a single bar of signal. 'Standard coverage' is described as allowing music streaming, MMS, SMS etc.

I then look at the map again to see that our current coverage is described as Standard! WTF? This has to be a joke, if O2 actually thinks that we receive anything like a decent standard they are either living in cloud cuckoo land, or (more likely) massaging their data to make it look like their coverage is better than it really is.

We live close to an international golf resort, and when there is a competition playing, we strangely get a vastly improved signal. As soon as the journalists and TV crews have left, down goes the signal again.

Anyway, Vodafone are offering a Femtocell technology base station, to allow you to have your very own full strength signal, utilising your broadband connection to carry the data.

O2 were supposed to be trialling this technology a year or two ago, but I've not heard anything from them. Anyone know if/when we may get the same sort of setup as Vodafone. It's only because we use iPhones that I'm still with O2. I do a lot of international roaming, and my wife can't get a useable signal at home.

Skype has been a life-saver, but it would be far more convenient to actually get a proper phone signal at our house - you know, like wot O2 say we can already! :womanindifferent:
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to burst yous (and my) bubbles, but "there are no immediate plans" to add femtocells.

😞 Looks like we are both left in the lurch and urchin with reception 😞
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that CT2'- Guess we'll be moving to V'fone just as soon as O2 lose their stranglehold on the iPhone.

Still, what do O2 care about just one more customer? 😞
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for that CT2'- Guess we'll be moving to V'fone just as soon as O2 lose their stranglehold on the iPhone.
Still, what do O2 care about just one more customer? 😞

😞 I know how you feel, and will be following suit as you, if I don't get the iPhone 3G S, or voda gets iPhone.
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep ......... I'm also thinking it may be worth moving to Vodafone if O2 don't move on this.

Maybe worth taking a look at www.femtonow.com
Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have extremely poor O2 reception in my house too, both cells are too far down hill.

Sadly I will be moving back to T-Mobile once my O2 contract runs out as reception at home is too unreliable. I would consider staying if O2 offered me a femtocell option so my phone does not keep losing the connection all the time.
Message 6 of 7

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
viewtopic.php?t=13035 is another thread

And on getsatisfatcion http://getsatisfaction.com/o2/topics/ar ... _have_done
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 7