Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Factory reset doesnt delete data

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

"The researchers tested a range of second-hand Android devices running Android versions from Android 2.3 to Android 4.3 and found that in all cases they were able to recover account tokens – which are used to authenticate you once a password is entered the first time – from service providers such as Google, Facebook and WhatsApp. In a staggering 80 percent of cases, they were able to recover the master token."

https://www.androidpit.com/why-a-factory-reset-doesn-t-wipe-all-your-data

Seeing as o2 themselves offer 2nd hand phones for sale, wonder how many are at risk of this? Must be hundreds of thousands of 2nd hand phones around the country, all potentially at risk. Not something you think about either when selling a phone

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

It's been suggested for years on many security sites that if you want to sell an Android phone, the first thing you should do is encrypt it before doing a factory reset. Unfortunately, some phones don't let you do it. I have several old phones just sitting in drawers because I couldn't encrypt them, and they're now so old I wouldn't get a penny for them.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

News to me.. I thought the purpose of a factory reset was just that.. to stick it back to day 1..

another thumb in the butt for Android

Message 3 of 10

paulbacon
Level 7: Part Timer
  • 436 Posts
  • 69 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It makes sense in that formatting a computer HD doesnt wipe it clean, it can still be recovered with the right tools. Alot of people though dont think of a phone as a computer, when it acts in pretty much the same way

Message 4 of 10

Bambino
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Here are guides for all three platforms:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-wipe-your-phone-or-tablet-before-selling/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Hopefully there are very few people out there with the resources or inclination to take advantage of this flaw.

Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

But you still see & hear it... format your hard drive and all your data is gone... 

not entirely accurate.. but to a layman.. the drive is devoid of data / files ! 

Message 7 of 10

Bambino
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

If I wanted to be sure of wiping a hard drive completely, I would do a search. I found this helpful site very quickly: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-2624527

Google is my friend. It should be everyone's.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bambinowrote:

If I wanted to be sure of wiping a hard drive completely, I would do a search. I found this helpful site very quickly: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-2624527

Google is my friend. It should be everyone's.

Only if you’re tech savvy.. and that’s the problem.. not everyone is!

i can imagine my olds googling how to wipe a HD. But I can’t imagine them ever being able to do it!

Message 9 of 10

Bambino
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Google isn't only for the tech savvy. In fact, when it comes to issues like this it's good for people who aren't tech savvy. Lots of times there are accompanying YouTube videos with steps to do things like this. If it seems too difficult, then you call in a pro or take it in to a shop, but it's all there online if you want it.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 10